Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

usage of V-I & I-V converters (VERY IMPORTANT AND URGENT

Status
Not open for further replies.

stzarov

hi,it's me again,i wanted your help for the circuit design of these converters early today,and now i'm in a need of your help again,it seems it'll never end,ha :)) anyway,for our project report we have to explain usage areas of these converters widely,do any of you have any ideas about it ???

Well, they're commonly used for measurements over longer distances...
If, for example, a certain sensor returns 0 - 10V, but the sensor is a long way from the control room then the length of the wires may cause the measurement to be wrong. Bacause some of the voltage will drop over the wires...

To solve this they convert the voltage to current. Current always remains the same, no matter how long the wires are.

The instrumentation circuits that Exo was referring to are known as "4-to-20 milliamp current loops". They are an international industrial standard for interfacing all sorts of sensors to indicators and PLCs or other control circuits that may vary in distance from the sensor. For a given current that the sensor puts out, it remains constant regardless of the resistance of the wiring between the sensor and the load. The sensor contains the voltage-to-current converter if it needs on and the "load" will have the current-to-voltage converter. Here's a link that I hope is still good from another forum. If the link is no good, then do a Google search for current loops or 4-20mA current loops.

Dean

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back