Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

US electrical equipment (Soldering station) in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm purchasing a new soldering station, but I can only find US 110v version with the US plugs. Can I just use an adapter? Should I use a transformer + adapter? Can I even use it?

Thanks. :)

Use a transformer as in actual transformer. Do not use one of those universal inverters or any sort of inverter. Just a simple 240 / 120 transformer is all you need. Sine in and sine out. That should work fine for you. Just make sure the VA rating exceeds the total power needed for the solder station.

Ron

Check the input voltage range of the unit. Many will allow 110-230V input. If that's the case, you just need the appropriate cable, no transformer required.

I'm purchasing a new soldering station, but I can only find US 110v version with the US plugs. Can I just use an adapter? Should I use a transformer + adapter? Can I even use it?

Thanks. :)

At the risk of stating the blindingly obvious, why did you not purchase a soldering station which was made for the UK market? Such things are readily available.

An adapter just gives a different pin configuration to the plug. Most of them are poorly made, have bad contacts and are an accident waiting to happen.

You can of course just cut off the moulded USA plug and wire on a standard UK plug, that is what most sensible technical people would do.

However if the soldering station will only work on 120volts, you will need a transformer, which will be expensive.

So, if you are lucky it will have a dual voltage rating, if not you will need a transformer.
Either way, why did you not just by the correct item in the first place?

As a modifier to my signature line:

Experience is directly proportional to the amount of money wasted.

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back