Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

**urgent** Need A Working Pic Programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruzfactor

I really need a PIC16F84A programmer that actually works. It's urgent. Can someone post some easy and cheap schematics with software?? I have built a programmer for serial port which is a JDM type programmer.
**broken link removed**

There's no problem in the circuit. But when verifying code I always get an error "Verify failed at 000h!".

I guess I have to go for a parallel port based programmer.

Does this Elcheapo programmer works?? http://www.myke.com/elcheapo.htm

Plz help someone. Need an easy and low cost effective programmer for PIC16F84A. Also that works in Old Win98 Laptop.

The attached diy parallel port programmer works well, and should get you going.

Attachments

• The DIY Pic Programmer.pdf
    243.4 KB · Views: 833
Does this DIY Programmer support PIC16F84A?? There's nothing written about this PIC in the pdf!

The WinPic software shows both the 16F84 and 84 A in its device list.

The software and hardware will program most other popular 16F and 18F chips.

The dil sockets shown are for 28 and 40 pin chips.

For the 18 pin 16F84A you just need to rewire the five programming lines as the 84A is a totally different layout to those shown.

Leave out the 40 and 28 pin ic holders, fit a 18 pin holder and rewire Vss, Vdd, MCLR, RB6 and RB7 accordingly - easily done before or after making the pcb.

Works well on a desktop PC parallel port with XP SP2, and it said to run fine on Win 98 - as for a laptop ?

Have found an old 16F84A-04/P in the workbox and it programmed up fine.

ericgibbs said:
hi ruzfactor,

Nigels parallel program pcb and software work just fine.

If you have a 'elcheapo' pcb, find the nearest recycling bin and put it in.!:rolleyes:

I think I have an 'elcheapo' around here somewhere, came with his book.

blueroomelectronics said:
I think I have an 'elcheapo' around here somewhere, came with his book.

hi,
Thats where I got mine, the book, dont waste your components and time, save the planet, bin it!...

Have done some preparatory work on the JBSim... Looks interesting...:)

can someone tell if this Programmer works or not??

**broken link removed**

Will It support PIC16F84A ?? Should I build this one?? I've little time left to program the PIC. So I need a sure shot here. Nigel what's your Verdict???

ruzfactor said:
Will It support PIC16F84A ?? Should I build this one?? I've little time left to program the PIC. So I need a sure shot here. Nigel what's your Verdict???
What's the hurry? Meteor strike? If you're willing to run win98 and have a real hardware printer port it might work.

On the other hand the page indicates [FONT=Times New Roman,Times]updated, 29 July 2543 [/FONT]So you might have to wait 500yrs for it.

Strangely I would bet the 16F84A is still around in 2543...

Last edited:
What's the hurry? Meteor strike? If you're willing to run win98 and have a real hardware printer port it might work.

On the other hand the page indicates [FONT=Times New Roman,Times]updated, 29 July 2543 [/FONT]So you might have to wait 500yrs for it.

Strangely I would bet the 16F84A is still around in 2543...
Nice sir and joke of the year-- and neither the present days computers would be valid by that time-!!!
perhaps he will now reset his calender.

i also feel the best thing for him, if he is soo needy is to go a finished item of Junebug

The site actually does say 29 July 2543, might be a timewarp. Scroll to the bottom of the site.
**broken link removed**

On the other hand it shows only a 16F84 not 16F84A
**broken link removed**
No Disassemble number 5

Last edited:
The site actually does say 29 July 2543, might be a timewarp. Scroll to the bottom of the site.
**broken link removed**

On the other hand it shows only a 16F84 not 16F84A
**broken link removed**
No Disassemble number 5

Noticed with thanks-

I've all the components for the P16Pro programmer except the ZIF socket. I want to build it for 18PIN PIC. What should I do? What changes to be made to the Socket connections? I'm want it to build it on a Breadboard.

ruzfactor said:
I've all the components for the P16Pro programmer except the ZIF socket. I want to build it for 18PIN PIC. What should I do? What changes to be made to the Socket connections? I'm want it to build it on a Breadboard.
hi,
If this helps, its one I made for a friend, its for 18pin, 16F628A which is pin compatable with the 16F84.
The circuit is a modified web design, I have used a LM317 for the 13.2V.
It works with Nigels or Oshonsoft software.

If in doubt, ask.:)

Last edited:
ericgibbs said:
hi,
If this helps, its one I made for a friend, its for 18pin, 16F628A which is pin compatable with the 16F84.
The circuit is a modified web design, I have used a LM317 for the 13.2V.
It works with Nigels or Oshonsoft software.

If in doubt, ask.:)

Hi

Just to confirm that this programmer has been tested , as you can see with a 16F628A .Not yet done anything with it myself but I am confidant of erics advice.Good solution to your request with lots of online help available.

cheers wombweller

I really need a PIC16F84A programmer that actually works. It's urgent. Can someone post some easy and cheap schematics with software?? I have built a programmer for serial port which is a JDM type programmer.

If it's urgent, stop wasting time on JDM/Tait programmers and get PicKit2, otherwise you will be more troubleshooting the programmer than the target. The programmer "that actually works" does not get cheaper than PicKit2.

I guess I have to wait for tomorrow to build the P16PRO40 programmer. By mistake the people from the shop gave me BC547 instead of BC557. Damn!
:( :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back