Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Urgent Help Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

suhusumu

Please help me understand the following circuit. Please explain the working of the following circuit soon. I want to know why the diodes and the transistor is used.

Attachments

• junk-box-fan-speed-controller-circuit-diagram.jpg
    junk-box-fan-speed-controller-circuit-diagram.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 179
The transistor amplifiers current. If the motor runs at 1 amp, this current is too much for the op-amp. The transistor might have a gain of 100 so the input of the transistor will be 0.01 amps to control the motor.
The diodes are used to protect the transistor. A motor can work as a generator and push power back into the transistor. (during braking)

Might I suggest you use a more descriptive title in future?

I want to know why the diodes and the transistor is used.
ZD1 provides a stable reference voltage of 5.1V, TS1 produces a voltage proportional to the temperature. The transistor amplifies/buffers the current to the fan. D1 & D2 provide transient suppression of the back-EMF produced by the fan.

If the fan uses coils & a commutator, the voltage on the coils will spike every time the current through them stops. The diodes provide a path for the current of these spikes to flow through, instead of through the output transistor (which may damage it).

Maybe the transistor will die, maybe it won't

Most probably. The ones that don't are brushless dc fans (e.g. a PC fan). Do you not have any diodes? They're pretty cheap. Alternately you can use a resistor & capacitor (or even just a capacitor) as a snubber across the fan to try to suppress the glitches.

There's 2 diodes to account for current spikes in any direction. The top one is for current feeding back out of the motor, the lower for current into the motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back