Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

UPS wonderings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderchild

I got this second hand APC smart-UPS 620 (VA) and well I was told a new battery had been put in it so yea I suppose it was worth 30 € just for the 12 V 14 A battery,

however it has been putting on the battery warning light, up to now it has been quite quite (unless the mains is accidentally knocked off and it cuts in can hear the transformer hum) just now though running on the mains it has suddenly started to hum like the transformer is working, does this mean the battery has finally started to charge up ? assuming it is a new battery it will need charging won't it ? the status lights are normal at the moment,

will the battery charge if it is just left plugged in but not turned on ? there is a relay click when I turn the main on and off even if the ups is switched off

I have two APC Back-UPS (400 & 450), little bit older than the Smart series. The batteries will charge regardless of whether the its turned on. Never noticed a relay click or transformer hum. The batteries last 3-5 years, depends on use or abuse. Should find the APC website and see if they have info on your model. Make sure it's the right size battery. Some people buy cheap surplus batteries that fit physically, but not be the same capacity. Also don't know how old the battery was before it was bought.
Anyway, never did the trade up, but APC offers a huge discount for you to upgrade to a newer model.

https://www.apc.com/products/index.cfm?ISOCountryCode=US&tsk=s365x

hm well it has been huming for a bit stoped huming for a bit then came on a gain did this 2-3 times. now it seems dormant, the battery is the correct rating so no worry there perhaps the battery was a bit asleep if not used for a bit will take some cycling to get it going

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back