Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

UPS/Surge Protector for HDTV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peach

I'm about to purchase a new HDTV (50" Plasma) ... do I need a UPS or Surge Protector for it?

I live in an older house that has two prong outlets...no grounding wire...except for my computers, I've had an electrician install new outlet box and run a ground wire back to the service box on my house (just for the 2 outlets for my computers) , plus i have a 1100VA UPS on each computer...

I plan to ground the outlet for the HDTV the same way as my computers... However, some have suggested that I need to have a really good surge protector or UPS for the HDTV.

Thanks for your comments/suggestions :)

These protection devices are often suggested because there is a lot of hype behind them and they are cheap insurance. A surge protector is indeed cheap and so why not put one on? But a UPS for a television? This is only justified if you expect your utility company to really screw things up every now and then (like feeding 800 volts down your residential line by mistake). Can't help much with that judgement call, but where I live the only problems we have are outages due to storms which drop tree branches on the lines and break them sometimes. I don't need a UPS for this. And you certainly don't need a UPS just so that you can keep watching the TV. Better to turn on the radio or just go for a walk or pick up a book or something.

The majority of surge protectors don't do anything, so wasting money for something totally useless isn't 'cheap' :D

It's just a money making con, like expensive leads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back