Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

UPS Power Transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkc100

I own a APC Smart-UPS 1000 (SUA 1000 AS0426131716)
It has quick working for reasons yet to be determined but today I took a quick look inside.
I have never made a study of a UPS before and I am assuming they are a battery, a inverter and some sophisticated control circuitry. I have never seen a schematic for a UPS nor read a good description on how they work.
Within the UPS is a transformer very similar to the one in the attached picture. The numbers printed on the side are as follows.
430-1212
Chuan Shun Electric Industrial Company Inc.
CSC-H1
E184733(S) Class H (160º C)
Can anyone tell me anything about a UPS Transformer or better yet about this UPS transformer
Could a transformer such as this be used in a power supply?
It appears as though it is a rather heavy duty power transformer but I am a bit stumped as to why there are four primary feeds.
Or are the smaller wires actually the primary windings?
Was this transformer intended to convert 12 volts into 120.
Any help you all might provide will be greatly appreciated.
I was kind of hoping this old UPS transformer might make a good power transformer.
I have been searching for a transformer that would take 120 volt down to somewhere around 14 to 16 volts at about 50 amps.
What are your thoughts?

Attachments

• 430-1212 Transformer.jpg
    430-1212 Transformer.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 4,721
Actually I am playing with some UPS's units and I was searhing the specs for the transformes of the UPS's. Some are 120V and some 240V.
Based on your information, you could use that Transf. as step up from 12V to 120V or step down from 120V to 12V.
The way it is normally used on the UPS: the primary has various taps, so it changes the tap (auto) depending of the input voltage anything between (around) 90 Volts to 130Volts.
A quick calculation: 1000 VA at 120V = 8.3 Amps on the primary (as used on the UPS but you can switch it as step up)
on the secundary: 1000VA at 15V (some of those trnsf's have 2 heavy leads for 15V and others have 3 heavy leads: Red-15V is the center tap (+) and the other 2 Blue & Black 30 V between them) = 66.6 Volts. I'll feel confident to use it for 50 Amps output.

I hope this help you with your projects.

for UPS transformer, the current is higher, so we ofter use cooper coil as winding, however we must enough consider safety insolation, you can calculate according to voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back