Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Upgrading PICstart plus

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronlwc

Hi,

I am thinking of purchasing the microchip PUM kit to upgrade my current PICstart plus development programmer. But my PICstart is a very old device with the letter 'R5' beside the serial no.

Do you think i could still upgrade my PICstart or do I need to purchase a new one? All i need is to flash my code into a 16F84a. Does anyone has a better suggestion than for me purchasing a new PICstart (which is very costly)?

Thanks,
Aros

Better then PICStart Plus?

I want to know is there any other PIC programmer available which is better then PICStart Plus and also compatible with MPLAB.

I don't know if the update will work for yours but a good solution for an upgrade is buying or making an ICD2.

Whether you get the Microchip ICD2, a full USB clone like the one made by OLIMEX, or you put together a simple one; the ICD2 is a much better platform for microcontroller development.

Using ICD2 to flash a code?

Can i double confirm again that I could flash my code into a 16F84A using a ICD2??? Isn't the ICD2 just a circuit debugger?

Aros

The ICD2 is a debugger and a programmer. In fact, the ICD2 currently supports more devices than the PICSTART+. In addition, is is also much faster than the PICSTART+. Have a look at the ICD2 readme file included with MPLAB. It will show you all of the devices supported.

You have to remember that the ICD2 only works via ICSP (it does not have a socket) so design your projects accordingly.

ICD2

Is it worth to purchase the ICD2. I have universal programmer. What ICD2 can do for me, I mean exactly how to use it since I never use it.

I like Newfound Electronic's Warp13. Bitchin programmer. Very nice software, and it's damn fast! It also has a pinned connector already set up for ISP.
IMHO the guy knowns more about programming Microchip's parts than Microchip does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back