Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

up/down counter

Status
Not open for further replies.

geth21

Hello this is my first post :)
i'm pretty new to electronics been studying the subject in school, now it's time to build a project and i'm looking at building a up down counter on a bread board and i'm not really sure where to begin any help o'r tips appreciated

i'll get a upload of my design brief and try get a photo of my attempt of a block diagram tomorrow if that'll be more help

Up/down counter ICs exist, e.g. CD4510 or CD4516. You can use several of those, depending on how many digits your counter will have. Decoder ICs will probably be needed too, according to the type of display to be used. You will also need means such as switches to start/stop/reset the count and select the count direction.

The 40110 is an up-down counter with a built-in 7-segment LED display decoder.

Up/down counter ICs exist, e.g. CD4510 or CD4516. You can use several of those, depending on how many digits your counter will have. Decoder ICs will probably be needed too, according to the type of display to be used. You will also need means such as switches to start/stop/reset the count and select the count direction.

If you use CD4510 or CD4516, you have to also use decoder like CD4511 (binary to 7 Segment).. but the most beautiful part is you can program also the counts with parallel load input using 4510.. 4511 can also holds the output.....

It for a gate system so when people enter I need it to count up and count down when they leave, I need a 3 digit display and I need a 1 hour timer when 100 is reached and then lights need to flash after the hour and I have no idea where to start

It for a gate system so when people enter I need it to count up and count down when they leave, I need a 3 digit display and I need a 1 hour timer when 100 is reached and then lights need to flash after the hour and I have no idea where to start

With all those features it would be complicated to do it with discrete logic ICs and counter ICs. Much simpler with a microcontroller (assuming you have the kit and skills for programming the micro).

I have no idea where to start
Break the problem down into manageable stages. Consider e.g. :
1) How you will detect someone passing through the gate
2) Once detected, how you will determine if they are entering or leaving
3) How to set up a 3-digit counter
4) How to display the 3 digits
5) The 1 hour timer
6) The flashing of lights
7) Power supplies

Then break down each stage into sub-stages as necessary.

Last edited:
I was thinking of using a microcontroller and my teacher said he got spare boards that I could use, but I'm not sure howthey work iI know how to program them

but I'm not sure howthey work iI know how to program them
:confused:How can you program one successfully if you don't know how it works? I suggest you get hold of any datasheet or other info source for the board and study it thoroughly. Once you know its features and limitations you will be better able to see how it can be used in your project. The right information is one of the most important tools you need for success.

I know how to write a program but not how the board works
I think you should go with the basic electronics using counter chips etc... that will be very helpful for understanding the digital electronics...

the 4510 is capable of up and down counting, and you can extend it 3 digit or more.....
1 year ago I have done a counter project for counting people with 4510 and 4511 ( with some photo diode, infrared Led to detect human...)
I have done it with one digit in bread board...
here is the video link if you want to see....**broken link removed**

Last edited:
To determine whether the person is entering or leaving you could use two light sensors and a quadrature detector.

The up/down counter I got is a 4516, I'm using light sensors to determine weather their leaving

4510 and 4516 are same in pin details

Ahh right ill try get a upload of my block diagram, I never built a circuit before so this is an interesting first attempt

The up/down counter I got is a 4516, I'm using light sensors to determine weather their leaving
Exactly how do the sensors determine whether the person is entering or leaving?

Good question, crutschow. Even with a pair of sensors there would be problems if a person dithered at the gate and triggered one of the sensors multiple times, or for some reason failed to trigger both. That would need to be handled by software.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back