Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Up and Down to the Wire. ( A where-to-begin beginner's question)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wire_to_Wire

I hope to emulate via an electronic timer switch an effect that is achieved mechanically on a pinball playfield.

To whit:

A rolling ball amusement device such as a pinball game comprises a frame carrying a playfield, and a ball-actuated switch carried with the playfield. The switch comprises a switch body which is movably and typically pivotably connected with a variable-position actuator wire to operate the switch in a manner which is dependent upon the position of the wire. A slot is defined in the playfield, with the actuator wire defining an arc section which is free of angled corners projecting upwardly through the slot. A rolling ball can depress the arc section to actuate the switch with essentially no "hang-up", whether or not the rolling ball approaches the actuator wire from a longitudinal or a lateral direction. Also, a spring urges the actuator wire upwardly out of the depressed position so that the actuator wire only occupies its depressed position when pressed into it by a rolling ball. [https://www.google.ca/patents/US5393059]

Essentially, a rolling ball is able to activate a switch for as long as it presses on the actuator wire. It follows that the longer the physical length of actuator wire (rising through the routing of the playfield) the longer the length of time the rolling ball is able to exert influence on the switch.

Rather than having to recreate this analog methodology, I would like to be able to fabricate a design which uses only a uniform trigger (albeit similarly mechanical), but, either via the completion or interruption of current to the switch, produces adjustable/ determinable lengths of current flow. I imagine that between 1 to 10 seconds would be sufficient. (Imagine, if you will, that the electronic 'Scoreboard' totes/runs up lesser or greater 'scores' on the basis of the duration of current flow from any given triggered switch.)

Apologies for the wordy approach. Further questioning welcomed and profuse thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Cheers!

Have I got this right? 10 secs (or even 1 sec) seems a long time for a ball to remain in contact with the actuator wire. All pinball machines I've seen operate much faster.

I think the OP (by the way, Welcome to ETO, Wire_to_Wire!) is referring to those holes a pinball "falls" into, stays for a proscribed time period and is then forcibly ejected in one direction or another. The timing of the delayed ejection is controlled in some manner, probably by some sort of timer circuit.

Not sure of the timer configuration.

A mechanism something like this (opto actuated, with no discernible time circuit)
http://www.actionpinball.com/pics/u245.jpg

Clearly, I should clarify. ; )

Imagine a playfield with three individual "lanes" through which a rolling ball might travel. The lanes are designated "10 mph", "25 mph", and "50 mph".

I'd like to be able to employ the same mechanical actuator/trigger in each lane, but nonetheless have the ability to have each individual switch produce a different duration of current flow. In effect, the balling rolling down the "50 mph" lane would, by allowing current to flow for a longer time than the other lanes, cause the "Scoreboard" to 'run longer' (read: count higher) than either the "10 mph" or "25 mph" lanes.

Thanks very much for your comments.

This is the switch in the linked US patent (btw the link is broken).
PinballSwitch.gif
You could use a respective simple monostable circuit (e.g. based on a 555 timer IC, or a CMOS Schmitt gate IC such as a CD4093) in each lane.

alec_t

You're absolutely right and thank you, I'm indebted.

Following your lead, an internet search has revealed circuits that promise to perform as I hope:
For example: The motor-spindle circuitry at the bottom of the page at: https://www.technologystudent.com/elec1/555ex1.htm

I'm sorry to impose further, but do you by chance know where I might look to find a similarly simple time-adjustable monostable circuit in pre-assembled form? (I don't want to appear a lazy ne'er-do-well, but I've need of quite a few switches relatively soon and I suspect it's likely to prove more expedient solution to throw a little money at the problem if possible.) Ideally the relay should be able to handle something in the neighbourhood of 30v at a minimum of 2a.

Cheers, and many thanks again.

I don't have first-hand knowledge of any ready-made units. Try googling for 'timer relay' or similar term combos.

You're welcome. I don't know what counter you have in mind, but do you really need relays to drive it? Or are the relays for driving flippers or the like?

Google 'handy little relay', there are a selection of them, some in timer form, sort of a ready made module designed to rapidly put together something fairly simple, and not too expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back