Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

unversal AC adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcf57

I have a Polaroid portable DVD player and the power supply recently went on me. I was looking to get a replacement and I wound up buying a Jensen universal AC adapter. It comes with various plugs and I'm sure one will fit my DVD player to power and charge its battery.

I haven't opened the package yet since I want to make sure it would be compatible. It states on the front of the package that it is "ideal for portable DVD players". Now, I don't understand a whole lot about electronics, but the Jensen package states the following:

This universal AC adapter converts 110 AC to 3, 4.5, 6, 7.5, 9 and 12 volts DC. Power electronics devices requiring 1700mA of current or less

Now, I looked at my failed original DVD power adapter and it says the following:

INPUT: 100-240V~50/60Hz 1.5A Max
Output: +9.5V --- 3A

Will this new universal AC adapter work? I was more concerned about it requiring 9.5V (volts I'm assuming) and I don't see the universal adapter saying it can handle 9.5 volts. Only 9 & 12. Or does it not matter?

Last edited:
I would take it back if you can and get an adapter that can output a minimum of 3A.
9V would be OK in place of 9.5V, but the current capability of the one you bought is WAY underrated.

This universal AC adapter converts 110 AC to 3, 4.5, 6, 7.5, 9 and 12 volts DC. Power electronics devices requiring 1700mA of current or less
Now, I looked at my failed original DVD power adapter and it says the following:
INPUT: 100-240V~50/60Hz 1.5A Max
Output: +9.5V --- 3A

Will this new universal AC adapter work?
Quick answer... No.
New walwart..devices requiring 1700mA of current or less=1.7Amps
old walwart ... +9.5V --- 3Amps

As stated, not enough current, Your DVD is probably not going to need a total 3 amps, probably more than 2 and less than 2.75.

walwarts give an output in volts and amps

The volts depend on the amps drawn. They inter react. unless you get one with regulation.

In other words. if'n you had one that said 9.5volts and 5 amps output and your player only needed 2 amps then the voltage would be much higher than 9.5 volts and may damage the player .

I do not like universal adapters. they are dangerous to devices as they require significant knowledge by the user and most people have no idea.

1./ The multiple voltages are just asking for trouble, either on purpose or by accidentally moving the slider position.
2./ Some of them accommodate polarity reversal. Center pin either positive or negative.
3./ The voltage settings are irrelevant. As stated above the voltage output is dependent on current drawn by the device.

Again, if it has regulation, you can ignore #3, To determine if it has regulation, plug it in and measure the output voltage with a meter, if it is several volts higher than stamped on the unit, it most likely is not regulated.

I have seen many a universal adapter that has damaged many a devices.

Now if you can look at your player and determine the current rating is less than 1.7amp then you may be able to use this universal adapter.

Say the player wanted 1.5 amps, then the voltage would be slightly higher than the 9volts indicated. If it draws 1.0 amps then the voltage may be 10 to 11 volts. Get the picture?

However, once I determined the load and correct voltage position I would seal the slide switch with silicone or something to keep some idjit from fiddling around with it and once you have determined the correct plug polarity then tape up and/or glue that as well.

Unless your original has a switch for 110 or 220 v I would guess that it is a regulated supply. If you know someone that can crack it open and has some electronic know how then it may be salvageable.

cheers

Another thing to watch with variable output supplies is that the higher current rating is usually only on the lower voltage selections, the higher the selected voltage, the lower the avaliable current, check your user manual,
Karl

The standard for universal input is 85 to 265V 50/60Hz

most designs provide for this. I feel, unless one is a traveling user across the two standards, there is no point in seeking universal support. I believe that it brings lot of strain on the transformer if it is SMPS. It has to be at the load demand of 3.5 amps as OP has demanded.

If multiple output supply is located, one could correct the 9V output to 9.5V ( though it demands opening the Unit.) to meet the OPs needs.

Ps: the best idea appears to be the "went on me" powersupply could be serviced though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back