Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Unusual USB Connector

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,
I carry several devices all of which use either a charging cable or data cable. I'm tired of carrying all the cables I need and I've solved most of that by having adaptors. All but one, that is. I have a Sanyo VPC-S1414P camera that uses some sort of special USB connector. (See Pics) Don't confuse this connector with a USB MICRO Male, because it is not. If I can find a male unit of this connector I could adapt it to a USB MINI Female and then be able to use just one USB MINI Male cord for everything since most of my stuff has a USB MINI Female input jack. Anybody got any info? Thanks either way. <ckd>

New pic #3: Mini Male USB on the left, Micro Male USB on the right.

Attachments

• Sanyo VPC-S1414P USB Connector.jpg
    Sanyo VPC-S1414P USB Connector.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 344
  • Sanyo VPC-S1414P USB Connector 2.JPG
    Sanyo VPC-S1414P USB Connector 2.JPG
    3.7 KB · Views: 254
  • mini and micro usb plugs.jpg
    mini and micro usb plugs.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
Hi,

That could be a specialized connector from the manufacturer made to fit their devices only. But maybe someone else here has more info on this...

This is the same socket used on Blackberry phones, but i have no idea where you could get the mating connector. (Possibly adapt one from a scrap Blackberry)

Looks like the USB connector on my Nokia 3710a cellphone, but, as you live on Uranus, I am unable to reccomend a supplier. E

I doubt it is either nokia or blackberry, those use micro usb and OP said that it is not it even though it looks very similar.

YeeHaw! I found it!! It's commonly known as a Mini Male USB 8-pin plug. It's just one of several designs having eight pins instead of the five that standard USB plugs/jacks have. I finally found that one website with the answer. Now if I can just find some. Many thanks to all you guys who gave it a shot. It's appreciated. <ckd>

YeeHaw! I found it!! It's commonly known as a Mini Male USB 8-pin plug. It's just one of several designs having eight pins instead of the five that standard USB plugs/jacks have. I finally found that one website with the answer. Now if I can just find some. Many thanks to all you guys who gave it a shot. It's appreciated. <ckd>

Glad you found it! I think my camera uses the same one--is it the tip that is slightly narrower than a regular micro-USB tip? If it is, I've noticed very few devices use it--mostly cameras, in my experience.

@rmn_tech--the tip used on blackberry phones is a micro-USB. They are not quite the same.

Regards,
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back