Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Unused RS232 Pins for other connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Urahara

Ok, I feel that I am going to ask a very stupid question. Don't flame me if you think it is. :p

Pins 2,3 and 5 of a DB9 connector is used to set up a serial port for firmware upgrading purposes via a bootloader.

The other pins (1,4,7-9 of the DB9) are unused. Can I use them, ie connect these unused pins directly to the pins of the microcontroller. That way, I can reduce the number of external connectors on the main board. I can use them to connect to light up external LEDs or even a few relays.

Of course, at any one time, I either use this DB9/RS232 connector as a real RS232 device or an external LED/Relay box.

Just a thought. Thks!

You can use them for anything you like, but it's generally a BAD idea to use a standard connector for this purpose - what happens when (not if) someone plugs it in an RS232 port?.

I agree with Nigel.

Some of these "unused pins" are used for various handshaking signals. At the PC connector they will carry + or - 12V.

Ok, I feel that I am going to ask a very stupid question. Don't flame me if you think it is. :p

Pins 2,3 and 5 of a DB9 connector is used to set up a serial port for firmware upgrading purposes via a bootloader.

The other pins (1,4,7-9 of the DB9) are unused. Can I use them, ie connect these unused pins directly to the pins of the microcontroller. That way, I can reduce the number of external connectors on the main board. I can use them to connect to light up external LEDs or even a few relays.

Of course, at any one time, I either use this DB9/RS232 connector as a real RS232 device or an external LED/Relay box.

Just a thought. Thks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back