Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Unknown LCD pin outs mapping related

Status
Not open for further replies.

pasc

Hi guys, i'm doing a project with an unknown multiplexed LCD, i don't know any of its caracteristics besides its a 16x3 LCD with 33 pins, i'm trying to do the pins mapping but i'm not succeeding at this :/, i've tried several things like using the multimeter with the continuity mode to try to find the grounds not successfully tho, i'm running out of ideads of how to do the mapping of the LCD i'm including two pictures of the LCD, one of the pictures the LCD has almost all segments displaying, any help of any kind is very much appreciated, thank you in advanced for help.

Image one - http://imgur.com/1yaVGCQ turned off
Image two - **broken link removed** got it on but it was randomly :|

Sorry for any mistakes while writing this, i'm not english :p.

Hi guys, i'm doing a project with an unknown multiplexed LCD, i don't know any of its caracteristics besides its a 16x3 LCD with 33 pins, i'm trying to do the pins mapping but i'm not succeeding at this :/, i've tried several things like using the multimeter with the continuity mode to try to find the grounds not successfully tho, i'm running out of ideads of how to do the mapping of the LCD i'm including two pictures of the LCD, one of the pictures the LCD has almost all segments displaying, any help of any kind is very much appreciated, thank you in advanced for help.

Image one - http://imgur.com/1yaVGCQ turned off
Image two - **broken link removed** got it on but it was randomly :|

Sorry for any mistakes while writing this, i'm not english :p.

Custom LCDs are easily ordered for mid and high volume consumer products. This is one of them. Anything specific about this panel that makes it worth keeping? A 16x2 panel with back light can be purchased for about $5, and they don't need 33 control pins to operate.

From the picture of the display with data displayed I don't see how you can say is is a 16 x 3 display. This is a bare LCD (I.E. no electronics.) so tests with a multimeter will not help. A bare LCD needs an AC signal to drive it. You need to start by learning how an LCD works. This is one result from Googling "driving LCD displays" **broken link removed**
I suggest that you start by making a source of a suitable AC drive signal and use that to try the result energising pairs of pins. A better way may be to connect 32 of the pins together and to one side of the AC source and see what part pf the display shows when the other side of the AC source is connected to the 33 rd pin. repaet this until you have worked out how the display is layed out. I agree with "gophert" that it would be better just to buy a display which contained the drive electronics.

Les.

i don't know any of its caracteristics besides its a 16x3 LCD with 33 pins,

Did you mean 3 characters with 16 segments ? ,seems a lot of segments the digit drive will be a back plane phase , the segment drive the opposite phase . messy with logic , try to get hold of AY0438 40 pin dip does it all for you ( 3 wire Bit Banged )

ed Ah should have looked at second picture , you defiantly need AY0438

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back