Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Unknown heatsinks

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsmith1261

Hi!

Most heatsinks I can find in local stores have absolutely no specifications, so I can have no idea about their K/W values.
Is there a way or good rule of thumb to guess or reliably measure their K/W ratings?

Thanks,
j

Last edited:
steady state temperature, surface area, spacing between wings, the colour, spacing in enclosure and ventilation all would influence in the cooling.

my sugestion is to select it by short of trial method if possible.
let it to work and measure teh temperature if it get stable/ steady before the limit of operation then its good, if it still keep on increasing then go for another big size.

I have a transistor with a pot soldered on it's base.
* screw it to the heatsink
* connect a dual-meter PSU set to 10v etc
* turn the pot to set a wattage, like set 1A on the PSU

The wattage drifts a bit as it gets hot so it need to be trimmed a bit when at temp, but it only takes a few mins to measure the heatsink in 'C/W.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back