Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Unknown component on comunications board

Status
Not open for further replies.

eucosta

Hi,

I damaged a component of a device that I'm not quite certain what it is. It's situated between the USB female connector and the chip responsible for the signal conversion to USB levels. It's not any of the resistors or capacitors of the conversion circuit.

Here's an image of the component:
https://goo.gl/8gfhS

Can anyone help me?

thanks

Welcome to ETO.

There are three on the blurred photo...which one is it?

Regards,
tvtech

They're all capacitors, probably all the same value. Measure them with a meter to find out.

@tvtech - the three are the same componente.
@KJ6EAD - they are not capacitors..
@wkrug - is there anyway to verify if they are Varistors?

@tvtech - the three are the same componente.
@KJ6EAD - they are not capacitors..
@wkrug - is there anyway to verify if they are Varistors?

You need the service manual, and read what they are from that - SM components are almost impossible to identify otherwise.

My vote would be for capacitors though - but no clue as to value, even if they are.

Transorbs. To prevent excess static blowing the interface. I use them myself. I can dig out the exact one I use if required. I know they are made by Vishay.

Capacitors would slug the interface especially at full spped (USB2.0 @ 480Mb/s).

Transorbs appear pretty non existent electrically until there is too much static and then kick in to protect the equipment. Capacitors would have a progressive effect due to their frequency response.

From the PCB shown, they appear to be on D+, D- and Vusb to ground as best as I can tell which is the correct way to do it.

1=Vusb, 2=D-, 3=D+, 4=n/c, 5=0v

Last edited:
Hi WTP

I learn't something new today. Thanks for the info. I found this about Transorbs: Please see attached file.

Always good to learn. Reliably.

Cheers,
tvtech

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.
Could you help me choose one?
I don't have any technical info of the board.... is there anyway to measure the components that aren't damaged?

Thanks once again

You could measure the capacitance to see if it's in the vicinity of 80pF but there's only one model in the catalog that's the right size if it's an 0805 size (0.08"L X 0.05"W).

You could check Digikey or Mouser to see if there are similar offerings from other manufacturers such as Murata or Vishay.

Last edited:
A transorb if blown and causing problems then it will have a load or short impedance. I will dig out the exact part when back tomorrow. We used to have blown USB interfaces to a micro on a weekly basis until we started adding them to the circuit.

To my knowledge (I am on a different project now) we have never had a failure since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back