Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Unknown Ceramic Disc

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaredstearns

I dont know enough to properly identify this part. Just by looking at it can someone determine what it is or do I need to use a multimeter? There are six and I believe the three letters are "PTC". I put the part under a scope to get a nice picture. Any help is greatly appreciated!

-Jared:confused:

Attachments

• unknown blue disc1.JPG
    unknown blue disc1.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 150
  • unknown blue disc3.JPG
    unknown blue disc3.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 144
jaredstearns said:
I dont know enough to properly identify this part. Just by looking at it can someone determine what it is or do I need to use a multimeter? There are six and I believe the three letters are "PTC". I put the part under a scope to get a nice picture. Any help is greatly appreciated!

-Jared:confused:

It is a Positive Temperature Thermistor.
But What actual Value, that another question.

Does it Still Measure a Resistance?

Does it Change Resistance with Temerature?

All thermistors have the same resistance of 25:eek:hm: at room temperature. I applied a heat gun and the resistance jumped to around 55:eek:hm: within 3-4 seconds. I got the thermistor to around 250-300 degrees F. Thank you for the help.

The thermistor is out of an old Balluff Encoder that supplies commutation for a servo motor in a CNC machine. There are six commutation channels, each one having this part.

Last edited:
jaredstearns said:
All thermistors have the same resistance of 25:eek:hm: at room temperature.<snip>
All thermistors in your collection, maybe. In the entire universe? I don't think so.

Those are the best close up component pictures I have ever seen here:D

hi all

I need to get information concerning components, eg if the circuit says a 555 to find out what other part can i use that has the same function!!!

killer007 said:
hi all

I need to get information concerning components, eg if the circuit says a 555 to find out what other part can i use that has the same function!!!
Okay, well step 1 would be to post your question in an appropriate place.

Either search and find a thread that is relevant to your question and post there, or start a new thread.

This thread has NOTHING whatsoever to do with what you just asked, and so it is not an appropriate place for it.

It's probably used for overcurrent protection. When too much current flows the reistance increases dues to I²R heating until only a small current flows.

This is off topic, but check out my component page if you want to see some nice pictures of electrical components :)

**broken link removed**

(I am not advertising here, as you'll see if you go to the site. It is certainly not commercial.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back