Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

University final project ideas {Please comment}

Status
Not open for further replies.

windozeuser

I'm in my senior year, and I have to do a final project 2 semesters, 1 semester design, 1 semester build prototype. I am interested in DSP, communications, audio, solar, anything.. I had a few ideas, but I really wanted to use a rasberry pi and arduino for my final project (EE)

Please rate these ideas and offer any feedback I have a limited budget ($350) so I cant do anything too crazy

First Idea
I just got a cool idea from my grandpa, he has trouble hearing certain frequencies after something happened to his hearing in a shop he worked at 30 years ago. I was thinking about DSP,

This would be like a hearing aid, but it would listen to outside sound and would shift the high frequency components down to lower level so the person could hear better or vice versa depending on set user preferences. My questions are how hard would this be? I dont know too much about DSP, but this idea sounds really cool to me.

Do they already have devices that do this?

What aspects of DSP would be used, would it be very complex or rudimentary?

Second Idea,

I-Trash -> This idea came to me while visiting Ohiopyle the other day, a large park system is limited on money, and needs to keep trash from building up. I was thinking of designing an intelligent low cost trash can that can detect when it is at 90% capacity. They would be able to communicate to a central server, all the trash cans would have a unique electronic identifier and would display on a laptop or phone which trash cans need to be cleaned out. I image that it could save money in the long run, but that would be need to be researched, instead of checking all trash cans, you can just replace the ones that need replaced. I image the time and fuel costs would add up fast in a large place like Ohiopyle, Erie, or larger parks

I just got a cool idea from my grandpa, he has trouble hearing certain frequencies after something happened to his hearing in a shop he worked at 30 years ago. I was thinking about DSP,

This would be like a hearing aid, but it would listen to outside sound and would shift the high frequency components down to lower level so the person could hear better. My questions are how hard would this be? I dont know too much about DSP, but this idea sounds really cool to me. I'm just wondering if you think it would be over Jason Park and I's head. Do they already have devices that do this?

One problem is that my partner and I have no taken the DSP course here, but if it can be learned in time I would like to try to do this

What aspects of DSP would be used, would it be very complex or rudimentary?

Second Idea,

I-Trash -> This idea came to me while visiting Ohiopyle the other day, a large park system is limited on money, and needs to keep trash from building up. I was thinking of designing an intelligent low cost trash can that can detect when it is at 90% capacity. They would be able to communicate to a central server, all the trash cans would have a unique electronic identifier and would display on a laptop or phone which trash cans need to be cleaned out. I image that it could save money in the long run, but that would be need to be researched, instead of checking all trash cans, you can just replace the ones that need replaced. I image the time and fuel costs would add up fast in a large place like Ohiopyle, Erie, or larger parks

Third Idea,

This idea is also pretty cool, I have toaster oven sitting in my kitchen that I never use anymore. I wanted to make a control system that turned the toaster oven into a reflow oven to solder small PCB's. It would use profiles for lead-free, lead solder for SMD components. Not sure if the differential equations for heat would get really too complex in this case or not. The sensing device would be a thermocouple, I believe a conditioner, and then some sort of PID controller, or maybe just PI not sure yet. The GUI would be on a laptop, phone, or PC to control and monitor it.

Rasberry Pi home automation

Was thinking of using the Rasberry PI to automate most aspects of the home, like dim lights, lock and unlock doors, play audio throughout house from media server this is more of a CS type project though

Fever detector

I wanted to always do something like they have in airports, I was thinking of using the Rasberry PI and OpenCV to detect faces (people), and then some sort of long range non contact infra red temperature sensor. But I think I could do image processing with an IR filter to get temperature? This would see who maybe getting sick entering a building.

Solar powered max tracking generator

Would use maximum power point tracking to try to have continuous power through a load maybe 120V outlet

Rasberry Pi smoke detector network, battery monitoring via text

Rasberry Pi monitors smoke detector batteries getting low will message you when they are, also maybe make a complete remote home monitoring web inferface to other devices in the home

Pi Shower

Rasberry pi and arduino team up to allow a shower to be customized for each user (image a family of 5 people), The water temperature, shower head angle tilt, music, work time, everything will be stored in DB and able to customize the shower experience you never want to leave gain. I think this would be cool

Pi Fridge

Smart fridge will keep track of what you are eating, taking in and putting in the fridge to see if it will help or hinder your diet requirements (macro-nutrition). I'm imaging like tupperware containers with RFID tags on them already the correct portion size, the system will auto log, add, and remove items being put into or taken out of the fridge, and will calculate if you are reaching your diet requirements to either build muscle or lose fat. It would have a funny feature such as a weight pad you step on, and if you are off target it wont open the fridge for you :p

Rasberry Sprinkler

A smart sprinkler system that will check the current and future weather conditions, past water consumption/ water bills, and decide whether or not to run the sprinklers, also will have feedback for soil humidity hydration levels. Web interface, Ardroid app controlled. How many times have you seem sprinklers running when it was raining out? lol.. I have at my Uni all the time

Please rate and help me get a good idea for a final EE project, I took about a week to come up with these, I don't want to do something that's done every year like weather station or wireless door lock. Any ideas or criticisms or input is appreciated!

Last edited:
Hi windozeuser, welcome to the forum.

If your budget is 350 bucks, and you want to start with DSPs (I assume you want to buy development boards?) you're gonna get a hard time. Getting started on DSPs (Usually Texas Instruments) is a pain in the butt for me. I recommend you start with PICs. All of the ideas are good, but I think by now you should settle down on one project. I personally like the reflow oven idea.

Cheers.
Vizier87

The problem with the RasPi projects is that to be worth the RasPi they need to have a monitor or TV. And that limits them to something worth having a 24 hour monitor or TV turned on, and the costs in having a dedicated TV etc.

The home automation idea would be worth it i think, but it starts to become a big expensive and complex project.

Pretty much all your other ideas would not need or like a 24 hour full screen monitor so they would be best on the arduino with a little text or graphics LCD that is small and energy efficienct and CAN run 24 hours a day.

I think the fridge monitor might be cool, but I would simplfy to arduino with LCD, and only do things like log the fridge energy usage, and all the times of day the door was opened and the log the temperature etc. It would show evergy use charts vs charts of temperature rise from teenagers standing there with the door open for 7 minutes looking at the food... ;)

AH thanks for your input guys,

I had two other ideas

I wanted to build a low cost DAQ similar to the expensive NI DAQ's using the arduino or rasberry pi, with external 12 bit resolution. It wouldn't have all the bells and whistles, but it would give students a low cost under $60 solution to interface labview to their projects. I know labview came out with the arduino library to be used in labview not sure if that hinders me or not, or should I just expand upon it?

Also maybe make a USB oscope or function generator?

Speaking of cars, I was thinking of copying Progressive insurances "snapshot" idea, making my own? Or

https://www.progressive.com/auto/snapshot.aspx

Last edited:
Congratulations. Unlike too many other students asking here for help in choosing a project you actually have some good original ideas :).
My preference, on practicality grounds bearing in mind the time available, would be the reflow oven. I see Vizier87 (post #2) would also go for that.

Anyway building weather systems are not "cliche" projects. I challenge you to build a 6-parameter weather module, all solid state. That'll get you busy with the electronics. That's my FYP, FYI. All in my blog too.
Here's one: View attachment 67304

Cheers.
Vizier87

Last edited:
Nice ideas, as mentioned earlier DSP implementation will be costly and a has a steep learning curve of not only the fundamentals but also in the use of evaluation boards, software (Code Composer Studio for TI DSPs), and learning how to drive the DSP (use of ADC and DAC amongst other things).

That said you could use Matlab, Scilab or Octave to do prove your DSP concepts at no cost. Frequency shifters have been done before, and are often used to listen to infrasound, there is a name for them which at the moment escapes me. A simple way to do it would be to undertake an FFT, shift the signal in the frequency domain then do an IFFT to bring it back to the time domain.

Choose a project that has enough technical challenge to impress but also something you will be able to complete well.

Best of luck :)

I understand the budget limit. No questions on that.

But deciding on a project based on how simple is, suggests that your career could be always guided by the idea of doing only simple / easy things.

Added later: oh, yes. It must be doable in a reasonable period of time.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input the reflow oven is my favorite too, and Vizier I agree, building a solid state weather station is indeed not easy by any means. Just many students use like an arduino that controls everything in software with premade breakout board sensors. RichTheDude, thanks for your input on the DSP it really interests me, maybe I can do it once I get a real job haha

But deciding on a project based on how simple is, suggests that your career could be always guided by the idea of doing only simple / easy things.

A good engineer can eventually succeed with a complex solution to a complex problem.

A REALLY good engineer can put together a SIMPLE solution to a complex problem.

Added later: oh, yes. It must be doable in a reasonable period of time.

And a BRILLIANT engineer can put together ANY solution to the problem what is WITHIN the time and budget constraints... ;)

So for the hearing Idea, you just need to do a FFT on the waveform? I want to do this is a side project, do you think an arduino can handle doing FFT on audio waves? I have worked on differential equations in C code, I bet there is a FFT library already out there for the arduino, I'm just worried about the processing time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back