Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Universal gates

Status
Not open for further replies.

shekiboy

Which gate apart from NAND and NOR can work as universal gate

For that matter I cann't even make a Not gate of XORs,I need combination of both XOR and XNOR

shekiboy said:
For that matter I cann't even make a Not gate of XORs,I need combination of both XOR and XNOR
To make a NOT gate from an XOR, you just need to tie the other input high.
But it's news to me that you can use the XOR as a fundamental building block, as you can with the NAND (or the NOR). Do you have any examples?

John Brown is correct on making an inverter(Not) by tying one input to logic 1. It appears that I was mistaken about XOR being functionally complete.

I've given this proof on another board that XOR is not universal.

A two-input XOR is a parity generator. Cascading parity generators creates only parity generators. An AND gate is not a parity generator. Therefore, you can't make an AND gate with XORs alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back