1. Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.
    Dismiss Notice

Unexpected VFD behaviour

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by throbscottle, Jul 12, 2018 at 11:37 AM.

1. throbscottle

throbscottle Well-Known Member

Vacuum Fluorescent Display, not the other kind of VFD!
    Anyway, I was experimenting with VFD filament drive based on this article: http://www.kerrywong.com/2013/06/05/vfd-filament-driver-using-555/comment-page-1/ and trying out different sizes of ferrite core (yes, very tedious), I'd found one where it was coming on but still needing a bigger core.

Most unexpected was the segments being lit more brightly at the ends of the display than in the middle! I suppose this makes interesting evidence of the filament resistance affecting brightness, even with AC drive.

I suppose the effect just disappears when adequate filament drive is used, but I thought it worth commenting on :)