Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

"undropping" parts in eagle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marks256

umm, i got "smart" and decided to figure out what the "drop" button does when you enter a component into eagle... Well, i "accidentally" dropped both of the ground symbols out, and i don't know how to get them back... :eek:

Anyone know how to recover my little, ahh, umm, "oops"? :D

Thanks...

go into the eagle "control panel", that is, the main window that first opens up

right click on the "Libraries" item and choose "Use All" ... next time you open the component chooser, your dropped parts will be there.

I can't even find the drop button.... I haven't figured eagle out yet either. Do you have the full version or the demo?

Andy1845c said:
I can't even find the drop button.... I haven't figured eagle out yet either. Do you have the full version or the demo?

That was the first thing I found. I thought DROP part would drop it on the board/schematic. Then I learn I had to reload the part(s) back in. :D

Oh, ALT-BACKSPACE will not fix that, you have to add the part(s) back in. Sorry..

I've been using Eagle for 1 year, recently I'm going to draw the layout for the smt IC, but I found that I couldn't get the track to be closer to another track. Does anyonw know? Or this is the limitation of Eagle?

Thanks

bananasiong said:
I've been using Eagle for 1 year, recently I'm going to draw the layout for the smt IC, but I found that I couldn't get the track to be closer to another track. Does anyonw know? Or this is the limitation of Eagle?

Thanks

Change the grid size under menu View\Grid in the board editor.

Mike.

also, set the alt size to be 1/2 or 1/4 quarter the grid size. when you hold alt down, that becomes the grid. Very useful when manually routing.

philba said:
also, set the alt size to be 1/2 or 1/4 quarter the grid size. when you hold alt down, that becomes the grid. Very useful when manually routing.

In all my years of using eagle, I have honestly NEVER known what the "alt grid" setting was for. It never occurred to me that it simply involved the "alt" key. That's very handy, thanks for pointing that out ;)

I always use manual routing.
Is that mean, when normal routing, the tracks will follow the setting of the grid. When the alt key is hold, then the grid is adjustable and as small as the setting of it,right?

About the width of the track, the unit is in inch or cm?

Thanks

Yes, the traces pretty much follow the grid, though if you use parts with different lead spacing (such as SMD parts, with lead spacings measured in mm, used on a grid that is a fraction of inches) it will let a section of the track be off the grid, usually it snaps back to the grid as soon as you put a bend in the trace, etc.
Both the regular and alt grids are adjustable, apparently the alt grid is just there if you need to use a smaller grid occasionally, like for squeezing traces between pads, etc. I normally use a grid of .0125 inch.

You can set the grid in inches, mils, mm, or microns. the trace widths, hole sizes, etc, are in the same units as you set your grid.

Last edited:
Evan is right. one of my complaints about eagle is how it handles off grid parts. You can see this when you autoroute with different pitch components. You get those ugly squiggles which often violate design rules. The best manual technique is to always start a trace at the off grid pad. If both end points are off grid, start a segment from each pad and join them in the middle somewhere.

For autorouting, you need to ripup the psrt of the trace near the off grid pad and do it manually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back