Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Underwater Robot for newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

itrmarcusliew

Hi guys,

I am intending to design an underwater robot. This is the first time I'm doing something like this so I need some help on which are the main important areas that I have to take into consideration.

Also I need special consideration in the areas of waterproof connection, reconfiguration method, communication and power supply. Can anybody give me a basic idea of these areas?

Thanks a lot! :roll: :roll: :roll:

What do you need help with. Is it the electronics asspect of the design (senses etc.) or the construction asspect (shape, size etc.).

If you need help with both the electronic design and construction, I think you should approach each sepretly. First, build a underwater craft with a remote controll (can be teathered), then try to add electronics.

Also, if this is your first robot, I also suggest that you start by making a wheeled robot on land. This would be easier because it only needs to move in two dimensions (as opposed to three with a under water robot).

How big your robot should be, a simple toy or a big project robot?

I have to ask because there are many differences between them.

I know some about underground robot that use pwr supply from the ground and make a long wire to the robot. However, if you wanna build a toy, you may use RF communication.

For waterproof construction, it's difficult to me to explain because English is not my mother tongue. And there are some specific words I don't know.

With a long wire from ground to your robot, you may reprogram your robot everywhere. We discussed muchie about wired communication at far distances somewhere in this forum. You may search for it. The distances may upto 500m with popular electrical components. And they always suggest to use RF.

thanks for concerning

We are planning to design a small protocol underwater robot! the basic idea of this robot, is rised from AQUA robot from University of McGill, York and Darhousie in Canada(it is not wired from ground).
**broken link removed**

For underwater construction, is that any website available for us to learn more and make as reference?
I might interested to know more also in RF communication, can u explain in more details?

Again, thanks for ur concerning :D

:lol:
You can't use RF via EM waves underwater because the water (especially the marine water) have some ionic conductivity and absorb the EM waves rapidly.
You may use instead the ultrasonic(US) wave to comunicate with robot. For this you need a floating balise with a US emitter and eventualy receiver positioned down (underwater) and with a cable to command center, or you can use EM-RF comunications with command center through air.

Start whith some king of an plastic box, fit 3 motors (up/down, left/right, prupolsion),fit in the control circuerty and baterys, seal it whith silicon and make it nutraly boent.

The bigest problem is the comunication.Using ultrasonic is a good idea sicne sound travels good in water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back