Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Understanding the timings in the AD9513 datasheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

ikalogic

Hello Electro-tech,

I am trying to correctly understand and interpret a (critical, for my application) part this datasheet: https://www.farnell.com/datasheets/9143.pdf

Okay, some background: I have a 80MHz CMOS clock input, and i need to generate a 40 MHz CMOS clock output (maybe with some delay, but that's not the point for now). The main objective is to have very low jitter (way below 50 ps).

Datasheet says jitter for CMOS output is below 0.35 ps, so far so good!

Now, on page 4 of the datasheet, we can see the typical, maximum and minimum values for specks like output rise and fall times. If we take for example the cmos output rise and fall times, we find huge differences between typical and maximum times (more than 300 ps).

For me, there are two ways of understanding this:
  1. The typical, maximum and minimum values in the datasheet reflects the differences that can exist between two different chips. It does not mean that the same chip will observe a variation of 300 ps in it's rise/fall times, specially if the operating conditions (temperature/VCC) do not change.
  2. The typical, maximum and minimum values apply to the same chip, and can be observed on the very same IC, with or without changing the operating conditions (like temperature and VCC).
Which one is the correct way of understanding the datasheet?

I know this may seem obvious, but i am in doubt!

Thanks a lot in advance for your help.

Attachments

• datasheet.PNG
    datasheet.PNG
    69.8 KB · Views: 147
The typical, maximum and minimum values in the datasheet reflects the differences that can exist between two different chips. It does not mean that the same chip will observe a variation of 300 ps in it's rise/fall times, specially if the operating conditions (temperature/VCC) do not change.

Number 1 is the correct interpretation as Ron stated.

Your #1 is correct.

For the AD9513 all parameters must fall in this table over the entire temperature range of -40C to +85c (page 26)

There is a lot more about jitter for this device on www.analog.com. See documentation.

Your #1 is correct.

For the AD9513 all parameters must fall in this table over the entire temperature range of -40C to +85c (page 26)

There is a lot more about jitter for this device on www.analog.com. See documentation.

Completely off topic, but Milford, eh? Hello Neighbor! :D

#
Your #1 is correct.

1 is correct, we all agree but you marked my responce az disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back