Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Understanding Multiplexer and ADC the signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

integralx2

So I will capture a EMG signal. IT will be 2 channel, fed into the multiplexer. Now I will be using ADS128 chip. It has the mux in it , and the ADC part. I dont understand what really happens to the signal. Two signals go into the mux, and only one comes out. So Does the mux take the signal lets say for first period and lets it go through, then on next period it lets signal 2 go. So in reality I get the addition of the signals at the output of the mux (lets just say its a 2 to 1 mux).

Typically such a device takes alternate samples of each input and outputs them as two separate digital words. The two signals are never combined or summed.

Ok, after I have this signal, I can then do what exactly with the two results ? I would analyze them separately, and have the results displayed separately ?

Hello,

Typically you TELL the chip WHICH channel you want to monitor, and it takes in samples from that channel only and you get the data out of the data port. When you are ready to read the second channel you tell it to read the second channel, then you can get the data output for that channel from the data port pin. So you either monitor chan 1 or chan 2 and the data you get out is from either chan 1 or 2 depending on which one you told it to monitor. If you want both channels and a little separation in time is ok, you can tell it to read chan 1 and get the data, then tell it to read chan 2 and then get that data so now you have data from both channels.
Typically all the mux does is allow you to select the input channel, either 1 or 2 but not both at the same time usually. If you need both channels read at the exact same time then you usually need two AD converters. I couldnt find your posted part number though ADS128.
Some chips allow you to STORE the data from each channel so you can get it all out later after sampling both channels.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back