Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Understanding LED chip specs: VF - IF - Output - Efficiency - lot variation - binning

Status
Not open for further replies.

flx

THEME: Hunting for THE most efficient IR emitter money can buy.

Datasheets specify approximate values for the Radiant Intensity (Ie) of a LED, in the form of Min-Typ-Max mW/sr for a given current. Just like with virtually all electronic components, lot variation is inherent; however it seems that LEDs vary quite widely. One of the reasons [I think] is mechanical, i.e. die position relative to reflector, lens distortion etc. The other reason [I think] is electrical, i.e. efficiency - Total Radiant Flux (ΦE) vs. Power Consumption.

**broken link removed** **broken link removed**
A very nice, narrow beam (±15°) IR led, the OSRAM SFH4231 [datasheet]
The -S, -T, -U, -V represent different groups or "bins".
  • IF = 70mA
  • Total Radiant Flux, ΦE = 33mW (typical) @ 70mA
  • VF = 1.6V (<2.0V) @ 70mA
I'm guessing that the chip's efficiency is ΦE / IF×VF = 33mW / 70mA×1.6V = 33mW / 112mW = 30%

Note that this is based on the typical values. It is my understanding that LEDs in general have a quite high "tolerance" when it comes to VF specs, with our example here being no exception: "1.6V typical, 2.0V maximum" and this is where it gets confusing. If, for example, one particular LED drops 2.0V @ 70mA, consuming 140mW (instead of 112mW for a 1.6V unit), what happens to the radiant flux? Will it increase from the "typical" 33mW? Will it stay the same? :confused:

1. Obviously, if the output (ΦE) stays at approx. 33mW, a 2.0V unit is less efficient: 33mW / 140mW = 23%.
  2. However, if the output increases, then efficiency is virtually the same among chips.
I'm pretty sure this applies to all LEDs, regardless of color, material, etc. but... which one is it - 1 or 2?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
THANK YOU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back