Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Understanding Electronics Basics #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Latex is supposed to be fixed, so I commented here again: https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/latex-code-results-in-error.125894/#post1047842

Duty-cycle:
Sometimes continuous, intermittant, consumer or commercial is a definition of duty-cycle.

A welder might have to cool every so often depending on it's on time.
A printer or a copy machine might be rated in pages per month.

The leaf blower might have a reduced warranty or none at all if used in a commercial business.

One particular interest in electronics with respect to duty-cycle is what percent of the time something is on. PWM or Pulse Width Modulation applies a varying amount of pulsed DC to a motor to control its speed. The advantage of this method is that the torque remains the same at low speed.

Your welcome, Graham.

Your enjoying this makes me glad.

Reminds me of me back when I first got into all this: pure joy in the learning.

Tried reading again but it is sooooooo difficult when your eyes keep closing, hopefully 3rd time lucky in the morning
Night both :)

OK.

Here's a circuit (the 555 pulse generator you've already sim'ed) that I've added some components to for you to play with.

View attachment 62695

Also, again - The info for determining Duty Cycle.

This circuit will help you to understand what "Duty Cycle" looks like and give you the values needed to derive Duty Cycle percentages and values.

This will also introduce the concept of "Power" (wattage [the peak values displayed by PM1], in this case, and its control) which will lead us into an understanding of dB determination and use (also discussed in the above site).

Last edited:
Got up late this morning as clocks went forward over the weekend (did yours change?)
21 hr working weekend & lack of sleep got the better of me........sigh

Busy at work today but this looks exciting where we are heading
Back on it later (about 4hrs left at work)

Last edited:
Graham and KISS and The Forum,

Ericgibbs suggested, and I agree, to start a new thread, as this one has gotten a tad long.

Same name, just increment to #2.

So at the end of today, I'll do that, so long as no one objects.

CBB

Seems gut instinct always serves me well :)
But I'm still sure it wasn't our overlong thread that caused the site to crash last time *whistle* lol

I'm happy to move it on, very rare you get a thread this long

Tell Eric not to panic, I nearly have the grasp of a resistor now *grin*

Man, I'm glad they turned that into db & % at the end, I was just about all P'd out **broken link removed**

Will have a go on sim tomorrow as late now but I stuck at it until it made sense **broken link removed**

Sim looks ace, what is a FET then I know it's being used as a switch but what is one, never heard of it **broken link removed**

So let me get this right in my head, the square wave is referred to as half a cycle because it has nothing below gnd, so it's only one side of a sinewave or 180degrees or 1 radian, or is that wrong, I read pulses were half of wave, does that mean the flat part is the other half? But pulse widths alter don't they, I need sim time to experiment

So looking over sim properly, it looks like a intermittent relay for uses that KISS gave above

Last edited:
Man, I'm glad they turned that into db & % at the end, I was just about all P'd out **broken link removed**

Will have a go on sim tomorrow as late now but I stuck at it until it made sense **broken link removed**

Sim looks ace, what is a FET then I know it's being used as a switch but what is one, never heard of it **broken link removed**

So let me get this right in my head, the square wave is referred to as half a cycle because it has nothing below gnd, so it's only one side of a sinewave or 180degrees or 1 radian

So looking over sim properly, it looks like a intermittent relay for uses that KISS gave above

We'll go over all that in the new thread.

Start over:

A square wave is called a square wave because it's square. Technically a 50% duty cycle. 50% on, 50% off. That makes it square. We just don't call it a "rectangular wave". e.g. all squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are square.

A "flat top" might earn it a square wave definition, but technically it probably isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back