Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Understanding differences in prices between power MOSFETs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rusttree

I'm using power MOSFETs for the first time and was looking at some prices on mouser. I'm thinking of building an H bridge for a BLDC speed controller. When I filtered down my search to the general voltage and current requirements I think I need, I notice there is a huge discrepancy in prices for what seem to be equivalent power MOSFETs.

For example, this one is 47 cents and this one is $3.90. Using the comparison tool in mouser, the only difference that stands out is the power dissipation. Does that capability alone justify the order of magnitude difference in price?

Thanks,
Dan

I can see no immediate difference. The graphs in the IRF part look like they are scanned in, indicating it might be an old part hence build on an older process and hence be more expensive. The IRF part has a considerably higher Qg, so its switching time will be longer so you will get greater switching losses. Looks like the ON Semi part is better on price for no appreciable degrade in performance. I would go with that one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back