Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ultrasonic Whistle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jens1969

Dear all,

I found a discussion in this forum about ultraconic whistles, but it stopped in 2003, so I have no idea if the project finished successfully. However, but I am living in Germany and I have the same problem with some dogs barking all the days. In my case it´s a great dane breed and the breeder is not interested in stopping this noise. Therefore my question: Are there very strong ultrasonic whistles in the market or is it possible to create a whistle in electronic shops? The standard whistles which you can buy in shops are not strong enough and maybe the distance is too high. I guess it´s approx. 100 feet. Many thanks for your help in advance, because I am loosing more and more my nerves.

Best regards
Jens

Ultrasonic whistles don't do much of anything, if the dog isn't trained to respond in a desirable way. It's just a noise, dog will hear it, you won't. Mostly it'll just annoy the dog, and likely trigger more barking. My Labrador puppy just looks at the source, usually ignores it. I built several schemes to scare off neighbor's cats years ago. Still have on going using a 556 timer (short blast every 15 seconds). Seems to work for most cats, but some don't care.

You can find cheap piezoelectric tweeters that can handle frequencies over 20khz, with some healthy wattage. Would keep costs low, as you won't get the expected results, sorry. But could be a fun project, kept me occupied for several months, before finding firecrackers were a better deterrent for cats. Should give a word of caution about loud output, even though you can't hear it, it's still loud. Meaning you can damage you hearing, or other people around you, without realizing it.

Many thanks Harvey

You think that all these products which are sold in "supermarkets" like whistles and other machines are nonsense. However, but It looks like a big business for them, because you can find plenty of these special anti-barking toys. Nevertheless many thanks for your comments.

Best regards
Jens

The anti-bark training collars deliver a nasty shock, if they ignore the warning beep. The ultrasonic gadgets for pest control, mosquito repellers, and most anything else are pretty much a scam and basically useless. It's big business because they are cheap to produce, and consumers are quick to buy technical miracle devices. At such a low price, most won't waste more money and time, to return the product. None promise to be 100% effective, so it's not fraud.

Ultrasonic whistles can be used, if you train the dog to respond to it, but it's no diffrent than training to your voice, snapping your fingers, clapping your hands, ect... Might be some benefit in the field.

For your problem with the breeders, doubtful you get any better results than you did talking with them. Most of the breeders I've met, aren't the greatest class of people. They keep the doge confined in small cages, separated from the other dogs. They are very social animals, and need to interact. They give the dogs the very minimal of care and contact. Really bugged me, how they view the dogs as only a product. I'm sure not all are like this, but got a hunch many are, just too consistent with the few I've been around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back