Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ultrasonic Piezo - How to get rid of audible buzz?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, on resonance with other parts: if you use a function generator to generate the 40 kHz try adjust the output up or down to see if the buzzing disappears. Something in the frame could be resonating with a lower frequency harmonic, even if its a sine wave outputted, the actual output of the piezo could be distorted.

The buzz could be caused by an induced resonance of the support on which the piezo is mounted.

Last edited:
Yes, on resonance with other parts: if you use a function generator to generate the 40 kHz try adjust the output up or down to see if the buzzing disappears. Something in the frame could be resonating with a lower frequency harmonic, even if its a sine wave outputted, the actual output of the piezo could be distorted.

If I adjust the frequency the voltage across the piezo changes and so does the ticking sound. The mounting is a soft silicone rubber which can't really vibrate, but I have been thinking about other possibly resonances, for example from the solder blob and leads, although I don't know how that would work. I'm also currently making up a few new piezos with a different epoxy resin and steel parts to see what effect that might have.

Play with it then; change the waveform to square, any change? if not alter the duty cycle; Experiment to find the sweet spot, you may find a compromise without having to use different materials in your build. Because the crystal deforms and flexes like a speaker it can induce a voltage that will feedback into the FG and also generate its own crackle as it snaps. You should beware of this and bleed this voltage out to avoid unwanted noise. A series resistor may help see pdf:

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2011/09/p15e.pdf

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back