Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ultrasonic Pest Repellent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, actually it doesn't work. Even you get the real device selling at the market also won't work. The high frequency to drive the pests away is just a hoax.......I even tried it on different pests and rodents

I saw a TV commercial a few minutes ago for a solar-powered "pest repeller". It costs $69.00 plus a fortune for shipping and handling.
So you end up paying $100.00 to a company that will be gone when you receive the garbage product and find that it is useless.

Some malls use them to drive away teenagers.

Question on the circuit itself

Ok. I understand that it may not work. But the question I have is if you ever actually got the circuit to work? That is, did you get it to go to 80KHz? I have already created the circuit. But I cannot make it work even using a piezo of 20kHz. So I am suspect of the circuit itself.

I have been trying to source a 80kHz transducer (could not find a piezo for a freq that high) and am getting frustrated too. They say it's an OEM part and only available in large quantities (minimum order of 10 for $15.00 a piece). Kind of expensive.

Also, I am afraid that even if I got the 80kHz transducer, that it would require too much power. I found this one: https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2011/03/80kHz_Ultrasound_Transducer.pdf.

Since this is for a science project, I just need to make the circuit work. Whether it repels or not is not my concern right now.

Thanks so very much. The post was so old that I thought I wouldn't get a reply. Thanks again.

But did it really work?

I am trying to get the circuit to work at the moment. I do not really care whether it will replel any animals. My problem is that:

a) I cannot get the circuit to work at all.

b) assuming I can get it to work, I cannot find a piezo that will support 80kHz. The only thing I could find was: https://www.electro-tech-online.com...20Cylindrical20Ultrasound20Transducer_178.pdf . The salesman from the company said that I had to buy a minimum of 10 at 15.00USD a piece.

c) finally, even if I do get this transducer, the datasheet says that it needs Maximum drive voltage for PVDF transmitter is 400 Vpeak for a single pulse and
100 Vpeak for continuous pulses.`` This will blow the rest of the circuit I think.

So, my solution at this time is:

a) to try to get away with showing an 80kHz wave on an oscilloscope and use an LED to light up, since the think is ultrasonic anyway. I would worry about the transmitter latter on. I just need to make sure the circuit actually works.

I have a feeling that the circuit is bogus and that I have been going around in circles. Any other reference to this circuit on the internet has no blog (except here), none that say that it has been tested or anything.

Any help you can provide would be most greatly appreciated.

Hi there. Did you actually build it and then tested it to see it didn;t work. Or did the circuit not work at all (eg. you weren't able to get any frequencies to generate?)

Hi there. Did you actually build it and then tested it to see it didn't work?
My city and the cities around me got rid of the mosquitos by putting safe larvacide in rain sewers and ponds.
The mosquitos are gone and the bats that ate them are also gone.

In Google, many experts say that an ultrasonic pest repeller does not work and I believe them.

ok. But that is not my question. I do not care if it doesn't repel pests. All I want to know at this time is if the cct actually work (eg. does it, can it, generate 80kHz ultrasonic wave)?

We discussed the old circuit in this thread. It uses parts that are not made any more and I think it had some errors.
Maybe you can re-design it so it uses modern parts and works but where will you find a transducer that works at 30kHz to 40kHz?

Its oscillator operates at 40kHz to 80kHz but its output frequencies are half.

We discussed the old circuit in this thread. It uses parts that are not made any more and I think it had some errors.
Maybe you can re-design it so it uses modern parts and works but where will you find a transducer that works at 30kHz to 40kHz?

Its oscillator operates at 40kHz to 80kHz but its output frequencies are half.

I actually found all the parts and have built it. The parts are pretty standard op amp, 555 timer and DAC. Unfortunately I cannot get it to work no matter how hard I debug. That is why I am thinking it is a bogus circuit. I really need something that operates in the 70-80kHz range.

The transducer is used for medical ultrasound imaging. its range through skin is a couple of cm.
The circuit in the datasheet of the transducer should be used, not that old circuit.

The transducer is used for medical ultrasound imaging. its range through skin is a couple of cm.
The circuit in the datasheet of the transducer should be used, not that old circuit.

Interesting. So this circuit: **broken link removed** should work then? I am not sure how the frequency is actually generated though. Also, I seem to have to apply both dc and ac current to the cct. Finally, the circuit seems so much more simple than the one we've been talking about so far. Perhaps this is only the transmit driver portion and needs something else?

Perhaps this is only the transmit driver portion and needs something else?
Yes you are right that is only the driver.
Ok, I'll settle for a constant 80kHz. Do you think the circuit will work?
I dont know its untested.

What are you trying to do?

Andy

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back