Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ultrasonic Communication Link?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobledoux

Is anyone aware of an application that has used ultrasonic sound waves as a communication link? I'd like to send one byte of data a distance of 25 meters.

Don't know of any application, but it would seem possible. Some of these ultrasonic transducers, for example, claim an operating distance of over 100'.

I can whisper to somebody who is only 25m away. Why do you need ultrasonics?

Last edited:
I can whisper to somebody who is only 25m away. Why do you need ultrasonics?
He wants to send a byte of data.

But, you certainly must have good ears if you can understand a whisper 25m away.;)

maybe it is possible but it requires a lot of power for 25m range since it is very low frequencies
The whisper or the ultrasonic?

I've found this one so far. It suggests using an ultrasonic send to a remote receiver. The receiver then pulses a light back to the sender. Distance measurement uses speed of sound and speed of light.

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2010/12/ESP15_USp-1.pdf
So for your purpose you don't need the light feedback circuit and the distance calculation. You just need the ultrasonic transmitter and receiver.

In that application they only show going to 1.5 meters, so you may need a stronger transmitter to go 25m.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back