Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ultrasonic Cleaner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recall seeing plans to build something like this online in the past...just can't seem to find it. Any of you have plans on how to build an ultrasonic cleaner?

Side note, why don't ultrasonic cleaners give off fog like an ultrasonic humidifier? Is it due to the ultrasonic using chemicals as compared to water?

I remember seeing that a couple of years ago, but bought a small one surplus under $40 (American Science & Surplus), they had theirs on sale at the time. Last weekend I through together a fog/fountain thing from an old humidifier guts. Guessing it's surface area. The cleaner vibrates the stainless pan, where the fog comes off the humidifer transducer directly.

I just wanted the fog, the foutain part splashes the sides of the big plastic dome I used. I tried putting something just above the transducer to stop the foutain effect, but it also stop the fog. Also, increasing the water level had little to no effect on the fountain, but did reduce the amount of fog. Believe the fog forms as it erupts from the surface of the water.

I seldom use chemicals in my cleaner, but don't do anything major in it anyway.

Your post is what brought up the idea of a ultrasonic cleaner, I do recall an article in a Popular Electronics probably 7-8 years ago which had a DIY ultrasonic cleaner project. However I did see something similar (or the same?) online a few years ago.

I need an ultrasonic cleaner for cleaning of turbocharger compressor wheels and other sensitive aluminum parts. I'd probably just use solvent as the chemical of choice.

The electronics for driving a small cleaner aren't that difficult but the transducer itself is the hard part. Searching Wikipedia and using google should provide you with enough information to give you an idea of what power levels you'd need and then you'd have to find a transducer supplier. Once you know the drive levels and power required for the transducer post again for help with a power supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back