Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ultra-small tiny beeper needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

rds2112

I was wondering where the types of beepers used in digital watches are available. I need something much smaller than the typical pcb-mount device availabke from Digi-key - those are always 5mm or larger. Any ideas?
(I'm skeptical that the beepers in watches are actual beepers, and that they are just piezos and the drive electronics are in the watch... I'll find out, I'm taking one apart).

Thanks Nigel.
I think so too. I just took an old watch apart. I think there's some complicated interplay between the back of the watch and the guts. There's some kind of thing on the back that I first though was an insulator, but I think it's the element.

Thanks Nigel.
I think so too. I just took an old watch apart. I think there's some complicated interplay between the back of the watch and the guts. There's some kind of thing on the back that I first though was an insulator, but I think it's the element.

Yes, it's usually a largish piezo disc.

Yep, so there goes that idea. I need a beeper/buzzer about half the size of the typical 5mm ones. I don't think such a thing exists.

Perhaps you could specify the actual size you *do* want, instead of the sizes you *don't* want? That might give someone a realistic chance of suggesting something.

Torben

I think a tiny beeper will have a tiny amount of sound at a high frequency.
A loud beeper is enclosed in an acoustic resonant cavity that is much larger than the piezo transducer.

Good point Torben. Ideally the beeper/buzzer would be:
Round, no more than 6mm. In the long direction, it could go as large as 10mm. So basically, long but skinny would be fine, thus giving it ample room to make volume (like audioguru said) even though it might be high pitch. As long as it's anoying.

edit: I should also say that Internal Drive is important.

Last edited:
Audioguru, I don't need Klipsh speakers on a Carver 1.5t :D Now THAT would be anoying.

I've found that the small piezos I have can get quite anoying with a assemetrical square. Something as loud as a digital watch alarm would do.

Last edited:
Hi rds2112,

nowadays PC-enclosures do not always have a Loudspeaker built in. Therefor mainboard manufacturers supply their boards with small plug-on speakers.

Diameter is 12mm and height 8mm.

see attached photo

Check with your local PC-shop for one sample left over.

Boncuk

Attachments

• Speaker.jpg
    Speaker.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 271
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back