Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ultra low power 3G/4G/wlan/ethernet router

Status
Not open for further replies.

king.oslo

Hello,

I want a router that can be switched on for long periods of time while running off a battery. What I want is the router to be switched on for about a year at a time, and about once a day, a remote user will request some information from one of the devices connected to the router. That info has to be sent from the router via 3/4G. That means, the router will be idle almost all year.

1W or less while idle by would be great. Is this possible?

Thanks.
Marius

Last edited:
The local users connect to the router using wifi or Ethernet. The router connects to the Internet using 3g/4g/gprs/gsm.

This router has to have operating temp as low as -20*C.

Is it possible to find an item like this. Or perhaps to build it at home?

Thanks! :)

M

Last edited:
Many 3G providers sell a mobile WiFi hotspot. Bring a portable generator or solar panel, at those temperatures most batteries won't be happy plus you still have to recharge them.
It might be helpful if you tell us exactly why you need this.

I want to put a 150Ah 12V battery, a low power 3G router along with a 0.25W computer into my car. This computer has apache (http server software) installed. I want to be able to park the car in a dark garage for a long period of time, which means not charging the batteries.

Then if I want to turn on the heating in the car, I can log into an app on the server, and do so for a remote location. But that can only happen though a mobile connection onboard the vehicle, such as 3G, as I may park in different garages each time.

In the summer, I will drive this car frequently, but in the winter, the temperature drops and the icy roads makes it less tempting to drive, so the car may be stationary for long periods of time.

Kind regards,
Marius

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back