Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ULN2803 doesn't turn off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menticol

Hello again guys!

I'm having some problems with my parallel port + ULN2803 setup. When I connected my stepper motor all the coils were continuously activated, no matter the status of the parallel port pins.

The problem repeats using another ULN2803, a resistive load (12 light bulb) and a +5v power supply for the controlling pin (replacing the parallel port signal). Result is the same, bulb keeps continuously ON. Connecting or disconnecting the control pin just increases the bulb brightness a little bit.

Attached is the schematic of what I'm trying to do. Any help will be extremely appreciated.

Last edited:
Hello again guys!

I'm having some problems with my parallel port + ULN2803 setup. When I connected my stepper motor all the coils were continuously activated, no matter the status of the parallel port pins.

The problem repeats using another ULN2803, a resistive load (12 light bulb) and a +5v power supply for the controlling pin (replacing the parallel port signal). Result is the same, bulb keeps continuously ON. Connecting or disconnecting the control pin just increases the bulb brightness a little bit.

Attached is the schematic of what I'm trying to do. Any help will be extremely appreciated.
Pin 10 has to connect to +12V if you have an inductive load. Otherwise, you can leave it floating. As you have it now, your current is flowing from +12V, through the load, through the diode, and to ground.

Last edited:
Pin 10 has to connect to +12V if you have an inductive load. Otherwise, you can leave it floating
That's not my understanding of the IC requirements. Pin 10 must connect to +12V regardless of load type, because the IC outputs are open-collector.

That's not my understanding of the IC requirements. Pin 10 must connect to +12V regardless of load type, because the IC outputs are open-collector.
What do you think the consequences would be if pin 10 were left open on a unit where all loads were resistive??

Last edited:
What do you think the consequences would be if pin 10 were left open on a unit where all loads were resistive??
Oops, my bad. No consequence. :eek: Brain not engaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back