Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

UL Approval

Status
Not open for further replies.

shermaine

Is there any difference between UL approval and UL certified?
As i understand, there is a UL certification online based on the UL number.
What about Semko,VDE,BSI,IMQ and MITI?
Anyone know how to look for certificate using Semko,VDE,BSI,IMQ an MITI website?
Please advise. Thanks.

Which country? I think UL is an american thing. UL Testing, like all certifications is very very expensive. Try googleing it, and asking a company what hte difference is. You will find them very earer to help if you sound like you have a product that needs testing.

Start with their new standard UL-2601. Read it, then decide if you want to go this route. If you are a single entity rather than a large corporation you may want to think twice. You're looking at thousands of dollars for testing, (environmental, shock and vibration, shipping, EMC) the list goes on... Also, every component you use should already be UL (or at least CSA) certified.

My understanding is that if you manufacture a product that requires low voltage for operation, you're smart to use a UL approved wall wart for power rather than building the 120vac-operated power supply into the box. That way, you have the UL approval where you need it without paying Underwriters' Labs for the testing and approval service.

Dean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back