Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Uk Electronic Suppliers

Status
Not open for further replies.

UTMonkey

Hi All,

I am based in the UK, Chesterfield and wondered if there were any good electronic shops out there in my area? online ordering ability would be good!

I was (un)fortunate enough to get a copy of the JayCarElectronics catalogue free with an edition of EPE, placed a few orders (as there was a UK website) got no acknowledgement, and waited , and waited.

After emailing them they said that they couldnt despatch my order as they were waiting for a part and besides all the kit would come from Australia.

If anyone on this forum has "links" with JayCar could they take this constructive criticism on board please.

Mark

p.s. the catalogue is impressive

I know there's JPG in Chesterfield, but I've never actually been there?.

As suggested, Jaycar is Australian, and all products are shipped from there - I've never actually used Jaycar, but I have used a couple of other Australian retailers and delivery has always been surprisingly fast!.

I like JPG, but as a novice I am never really sure what I am asking for.

Being able to browse a catalogue online or in hard copy (with nice pictures) is definitely beneficial!

Also, seeing interesting components gives me ideas for my next project.

What other Australian suppliers do you use Nigel?

Last edited:
UTMonkey said:

Being able to browse a catalogue online or in hard copy (with nice pictures) is definitely beneficial!

hi,

Sort of near your area is Farnell Ltd of Leeds.
www.farnell.co.uk
On line ordering is a minimum value of £20, a wide stock range with next day free delivery.
Paper catalog on request.. lotsa datasheets on most products.

Dont worry I'm not on commission..:rolleyes:

UTMonkey said:

Also, seeing interesting components gives me ideas for my next project.

I've used Dontronics for lots of PIC stuff, and also Dick Smith.

As suggested, Farnell are good and have a huge range, as do RS Components.

Maplin have a number of shops dotted around the country. You can check for the nearest one to you on their site https://www.maplin.co.uk/

Farnell is aimed more at the professional, but they also bought out CPC which is aimed more at the hobbyist https://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/home/homepage.jsp
Maybe not near you but worth knowing about.

The pedigree of some of their stock is doubtful but they are cheap.

Maplins have gone all toy and audio (bit like Tandy before they went belly up).

www.maplin.co.uk

RS are pretty good but rather expensive. I've got one local to me so I can collect stuff in an emergency.

www.rswww.com

Farnell are strange people - some stuff is rediculously priced but other stuff can be cheaper than most other people online - if you're buying in quantity its worth checking them out as the savings on a single order can be quite a bit.

www.farnell.co.uk

Crownhill used to be one of my favourite suppliers of Microcontrollers - fast, friendly and efficient service with good prices. I've not ordered for quite a while but worth checking out.

www.crownhill.co.uk

My favourite supplier is Rapid Electronics. These people are how Maplin should have been although even Rapid seem to be stocking more and more toys. Good service, phones answered quickly, online ordering, next day delivery (and at a good price if a small order), easy to use website and good prices.

www.rapidonline.com

Hope that helps
Dom

You could try these.

www.rapidonline.co.uk
www.dannell.co.uk

They both have online catalogues, and are very reasonable on most of their prices. I've ordered from both, and never had aproblem.

If you want an actual shop, you could try R F POTTS at derby (They;re always happy to offer advice)

And don't forget ebay! PLenty of Ebayshops that sell resistor kits, boards, odds 'n' sods (hard to find bits too) and after a bit of searching, they are generally cheaper than most...Rapid for bulk (they are excellent), Farnell/RS for highend stuff (CPU's, latest IC's) Maplin if I'm stuck. Never failed me.

Blueteeth

Nigel Goodwin said:
I've used Dontronics for lots of PIC stuff, and also Dick Smith.

As suggested, Farnell are good and have a huge range, as do RS Components.
I wonder , when Dick Smith has opened a branch in UK !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back