Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

UK- Chinese/Japanese domestic power

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am traveling to China and Japan on business next month and want to take a various array of electricals that need charging, Laptop, pocket PC, phone etc Is the supply the same voltage/freq in China/Japan as here in the UK or does it need stepping?? Is there a standard physical plug adapter I need to get?

Cheers
Malc

Thanks for the link radioron, So it is the same voltage/freq which is handy. I just need an adapter for the plugs, ebay here I come!!

thanks
Malc

Look again.
Japan has only 100V. Its frequency could be 50hz or 60Hz.

Correct! 100 and 117 Volts 50 or 60 Hz in Japan.

Use a switchmode power supply which covers those ranges. (lighter)
Laptop supply is probably ok, check the label !!

Ot take a 110 / 240 transformer with you. VA depends upon you max. user load. (heavier to take with you)

Those SMPS powersupplies usually work between 90 and 270 Volts 50 and 60 Hz.

Last edited:
  • So I won't need an voltage adapter for China then?
  • Can someone point me in the right direction for buying the appropriate equipment for use in Japan?

The max load I want to put on it is my laptop, I would need to use the supply for other things but at seperate times and lesser requirments

Have you checked your laptop PSU?, many are switchmode and work on either voltage - if not you need an auto-transformer, these are freely available for this exact reason.

OK thanks nigel, I checked the supply but it isn't switchable, it says on it though that the input is 100-240V~2.0A but everything else I want to run is fixed voltage. I found this -

**broken link removed**

I know it is for the USA and is 120V~ not 100V~ but is this the type of thing I will need for Japan? but a different voltage, is that a reasonable price or expensive?

spondootre said:
OK thanks nigel, I checked the supply but it isn't switchable, it says on it though that the input is 100-240V~2.0A but everything else I want to run is fixed voltage.

I didn't say 'switchable' I said switchmode - your power supply is switchmode and the spec you've just typed says it works on any voltage between 100V and 240V. So your laptop is fine.

Have you checked the others for what they say?, phone chargers are often multivoltage as well.

I checked my pda, it isn't switchable. but I can charge this from the USB port an the laptop. The phone also isn't switchable. But I suppose for my purposes it would be cheaper to buy a japanese charger for the same phone. There isn't anything else I need to power except perhaps a battery charger whic again I could just buy one from out there. so all I should need is a simple plug shape adaptor.

Thanks for the help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back