Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

uC based Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHUX

Hello

I'm in my final year of study and i'm stormed with the task of
designing any electronics project of my choice.
Can any one help me with a list of microcontroller based project
that can serve as a final year project work. The project shouldn't be too simple
or too complex.
Thanx

I will be making use of 8051 uC. The project will not be one that will cost
much. Also I want a project that will be completed within 3 to 4 months.

there are users (especially those that registered a day or two ago) that take the simplest projects as being too complex, and think that nothing is too simple.

You might need to elaborate on your version on too simple and too complex.

For me, I am using the At89C2051 uC, and so far, it has been working out for me. It is only a 20 pin device, and can be reprogrammed quickly. I think this is the smallest chip in the 8051 family of chips.

I have just learn what seems to be the basis in working with microcontrollers. They include: Assembly language, C language, ADC, DAC, series communication,memories and lots more. I hope to learn stuffs that will help me in the project.
I haven't design anything with uC's. Never mind that wouldn't be a problem. "Too simple or too complex" shouldn't be a problem too. I mean any project can now serve.
Thanx 4 your understanding.

It looks like you are on your own now.

So you want us to think of ANYTHING? :lol:

Check out atmel's site. They make 8051 based uC's and they have some circuits.

mstechca said:
It looks like you are on your own now.

So you want us to think of ANYTHING? :lol:

Check out atmel's site. They make 8051 based uC's and they have some circuits.

Its not that i'm on my own. As I said before, I haven't work with uC's. So learning the basis doesn't mean I can do it for now. Moreover, you can help me in any way.
I'll check @ Atmel site for help as you said. Still waiting for a fantastic project topic and guidance from anybody.
Thanx

CHUX said:
Still waiting for a fantastic project topic and guidance from anybody.
Thanx

Try building a 6-digit low frequency(0-100Hz) counter.

When fed with a low frequency signal, aim to give display like 1.25647Hz, 14.5672Hz and 89.6547Hz etc....

To obtain good accuracy, you need to measure many cycles and perform rolling averaging for the period calculation.

For a FYP, programming the microcontroller should be a mere prerequisite. The most important thing is to be able to apply it in engineering. Maybe you would want to target a field of study, like comms, control theory or such. Microcontrollers are only a means to the end. Maybe you can give some thought on what the end is.

eblc1388 said:
CHUX said:
Still waiting for a fantastic project topic and guidance from anybody.
Thanx

When fed with a low frequency signal, aim to give display like 1.25647Hz, 14.5672Hz and 89.6547Hz etc....

To obtain good accuracy, you need to measure many cycles and perform rolling averaging for the period calculation.

I'm presuming this is a "wind up" :lol:

Bit cruel not to include a smiley!, suggesting a reading time of 28 hours, and then doing multiple readings - it would take a long time to test it :p

Nigel Goodwin said:
Bit cruel not to include a smiley!, suggesting a reading time of 28 hours, and then doing multiple readings - it would take a long time to test it :p

28 hours???

Even my cheap all TTL Racal 9523 counter I bought in 1975 can do four decimal places in just 10 seconds. :D

eblc1388 said:
Nigel Goodwin said:

28 hours???

Even my cheap all TTL Racal 9523 counter I bought in 1975 can do four decimal places in just 10 seconds. :D

To count with 1Hz resolution obviously takes 1 second, 0.1Hz takes 10 seconds, 0.01Hz takes 100 seconds are so on - for low frequency measurement it's usual to measure the time period rather than the frequency - where you can get a more accurate reading over just one cycle (or half a cycle if it's symmetrical).

So for high frequencies you use a frequency counter, for low frequencies you measure the period - this is how the 50MHz auto-ranging PIC frequency counters work.

On a 'cheap' frequency counter the 10 second range would only give 0.1Hz resolution - but this is the first time I've ever seen "cheap" and "Racal" in the same sentence 8)

You know about period measurement but you think one can't measure low frequency to better precision in a reasonable time.

I rest my case. 8)

Edited: Nigel you are absolutely right about Racal, this is not a cheap counter and I liked it best among my other instrument. I meant to say "cheap TTL ics" but mixed up the qualifier.

eblc1388 said:
You know about period measurement but you think one can't measure low frequency to better precision in a reasonable time.

I rest my case. 8)

I think I made my point previously, when I explained that you measure the period for low frequencies, but that ISN'T a frequency counter!.

Your earlier post said:

Another obvious point is why have 6 digits?, you're not going to get accuracy to 0.001% (or whatever 6 digits is?, I lost count of the zero's).

checkmate said:
For a FYP, programming the microcontroller should be a mere prerequisite. The most important thing is to be able to apply it in engineering. Maybe you would want to target a field of study, like comms, control theory or such. Microcontrollers are only a means to the end. Maybe you can give some thought on what the end is.

Any one from comms or control can serve. Basically I would like it to be related to control.

For controls, you can implement digital pids/filters, or even fuzzy. I remember one fuzzy project in which a car pole-balanced a tray of triple-stacked wine glasses.

checkmate said:
For controls, you can implement digital pids/filters, or even fuzzy. I remember one fuzzy project in which a car pole-balanced a tray of triple-stacked wine glasses.
Please let consider comm and something like automation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back