Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

types of pic

Status
Not open for further replies.

gastonanthony

just a couple of questions, because i'm absolutely clueless :D
1. is the pic16f628 the same as the pic16f84?
2. can i load a program for a 16f84 into the 16f628?
3. if i study how to program the 16f84, will i be able to program a 16f628?
4. where can i find a easy and good 16f628 tutorial?

gastonanthony said:
Answers:
1. almost, 628 is newer, cheaper and has more features
2. You have to edit it slightly, only two more lines of code
3. Yes, the principe is the same (and core)
4. PIC programmer software, and PIC Tutorials at:
http://www.winpicprog.co.uk or
**broken link removed**

gastonanthony said:

Not the 'same', but it is the replacement for it, the 84 has been essentially obselete for years.

Yes, with VERY slight changes, basically the fuse settings are different, and you have to disable the comparators. MicroChip have a 'migration document' which explains it. Or simply check my tutorials, which all use the 628 'as an 84'.

Yes, they use the same 14 bit core, along with any 16 series chip.

Check my tutorials!.

thank you!!!!!!!!!

Jay.slovak, Nigel , thanks for paying attention and spending time to answer simple questions :D and the tutorial in your website is great !!! :D i copied a few examples from your site to MPLAB and IT WORKED!!! :D the simulation ran perfectly, but how do i place the program into the 16f628? i don't have the programmers that are specified in mplab, but i have the pg2c (the olimex type) that are being used in icprog software, thanks again! :D

Re: thank you!!!!!!!!!

gastonanthony said:
Jay.slovak, Nigel , thanks for paying attention and spending time to answer simple questions :D and the tutorial in your website is great !!! :D i copied a few examples from your site to MPLAB and IT WORKED!!! :D the simulation ran perfectly, but how do i place the program into the 16f628? i don't have the programmers that are specified in mplab, but i have the pg2c (the olimex type) that are being used in icprog software, thanks again! :D

You load the .HEX file created by MPLAB into ICProg, and use it to program the PIC.

gastonanthony said:
where can i find the .hex file? i can only see the .asm file in my folder. does load mean opening it in icprog? :)
After you asemble your project without errors, you will find it in your projects folder.

another question

is jdm the same as the olimex programmer? icprog doesn't list olimex pg2c as a programmer, will enabling the jdm option work for a pg2c programmer?

simulation

the 16f877 and other types have comparators and ADC's built into them right?can that feature be tested in the mplab?thanks for all the help, i'm really amazed at how fast i'm learning all of these because of you two :D :D

Re: simulation

gastonanthony said:
the 16f877 and other types have comparators and ADC's built into them right?can that feature be tested in the mplab?thanks for all the help, i'm really amazed at how fast i'm learning all of these because of you two :D :D
I'm afraid not. The only peripheral that could be tested is USART. If your programmer is using serial port (and has minimum IC's on PCB), then most likely it's based on JDM design.

i'm ok now

hey, i already know the answers to my questions, don't answer the questions above :D remember you said that 16f628 is cheaper than 16f84? but here in my country, it costs much more, converted to us dollars, it's about $6, while the 16f84 is about $4.40. Just a little trivia :D

Re: i'm ok now

gastonanthony said:
hey, i already know the answers to my questions, don't answer the questions above :D remember you said that 16f628 is cheaper than 16f84? but here in my country, it costs much more, converted to us dollars, it's about $6, while the 16f84 is about $4.40. Just a little trivia :D
Hmm strange. 16F84 is old and it costs much more usually.... Where are you from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back