Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Type of Diode to Use

Status
Not open for further replies.

legend3897

Dear Memebers,

I have a two 55W Bulbs on a 12VDC Circuit. I would like to put a Diode in line to control the flow of electricity.

What type of diode would be best?

Best,
Legend3897

12v at 55w = around 5 amps so a diode rated at 5 amps or higher should suffice.

Be aware that halogen bulbs have a massive inrush current so it might be worth getting the highest current diodes you can afford.

P.s. I assume you're doing this for some kind of alarm circuit on a car

Consider using SPDT relays to isolate the circuit when the bulbs are not on via the car headlight switch.

Dear Memebers,

I have a two 55W Bulbs on a 12VDC Circuit. I would like to put a Diode in line to control the flow of electricity.

What type of diode would be best?

Best,
Legend3897

hi,:)
Two 55Watt lamps, thats 110W rated at 12V is 9.1Amps, say 10A.

What are trying to do, reduce the light intensity.?

Whats your location.?

12v at 55w = around 5 amps so a diode rated at 5 amps or higher should suffice.

Be aware that halogen bulbs have a massive inrush current so it might be worth getting the highest current diodes you can afford.

hi picbits,
Thats one 5A diode [min amperage] per lamp you are saying.

Ericgibbs and picbits...

I am installing a Universal Emergency Vehicle Flasher on a BMW. Since I will be splicing into the existing vehicle wiring I wanted to install a diode to ensure that the is no back flow of electricity when the flasher energizes the light.

I am located in NYC.

Below you can see the link for the installation guide for the flasher

----
Manufacture Link for the Flasher (see the install Guide)

http://www.strobe.com/component/opt...duct_id,111/category_id,38/manufacturer_id,0/

Incandescents pull 10x to 15x normal current for a few dozen mS. The I squared T rating of the diode has to be able to stand this surge.

Ericgibbs and picbits...

I am installing a Universal Emergency Vehicle Flasher on a BMW. Since I will be splicing into the existing vehicle wiring I wanted to install a diode to ensure that the is no back flow of electricity when the flasher energizes the light.

I am located in NYC.

Below you can see the link for the installation guide for the flasher

----

hi,
Something like this type should be OK.
Well over rated.! One per lamp.

Rectifier - Standard Recovery | Farnell UK

Last edited:
An ordinary rectifier diode would do since they are designed to withstand the surge that occurs when the resivour capacitor is charged when the power is first turned on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back