Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Txt Viewer, Help Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electric Rain

Hi,

I just got an old Canon monochrome 14" VGA CTR monitor. I tested it with my computer, but what it does is it compresses the picture down to about 4" verticaly. I don't think it's broke, because if I recall, I used to have a different old monitor that I tested with my computer and it did the same thing. Therefore, I think it's a compatability issue. So, since it won't work with my computer and even if I could get it to do so it wouldn't be of much use to me, I was wondering if I could make something that I can plug the monitor and a floppy drive into, that can read a txt off of a floppy disk and display it on the screen. For the vertical navigation through the txt file, I can just use two buttons to scroll up and down. So, can anyone help me in some way with this? Any info would be helpful. It would be helpful to me if I knew why my monitor was doing what it's doing too. Thanks, :)

Rain

Electric Rain said:
I just got an old Canon monochrome 14" VGA CTR monitor. I tested it with my computer, but what it does is it compresses the picture down to about 4" verticaly. I don't think it's broke, because if I recall, I used to have a different old monitor that I tested with my computer and it did the same thing. Therefore, I think it's a compatability issue. So, since it won't work with my computer and even if I could get it to do so it wouldn't be of much use to me, I was wondering if I could make something that I can plug the monitor and a floppy drive into, that can read a txt off of a floppy disk and display it on the screen. For the vertical navigation through the txt file, I can just use two buttons to scroll up and down. So, can anyone help me in some way with this? Any info would be helpful. It would be helpful to me if I knew why my monitor was doing what it's doing too.

What resolution was the computer in when you tried it?, the monitor will most likely only accept standard VGA signals.

As for a device to read text files from a floppy, it's called a computer :lol: You would need to build a computer to do it, it would only need to be low spec and run DOS - even an XT would be plenty powerful enough.

Update:

I have more details on the monitor. On the back, it has two pots, V-Size and H-Phase. (We all know what they both do.) When the V-Size is at max, it’s about 2”. When it’s at min, it’s about 1”. BUT… this was all on High Color (16 Bit). But, what I just now found out, is that the monitor WILL WORK, only if I switch it to 16 Colors. I actually works full screen and everything, and the fact that it’s 16 colors doesn’t really matter anyway, because it’s a black and white monitor.

But like I said, even if I get it to work with my computer, (which I did) I’m not going to use it with my computer because it’s B/W, and the one I’m using now works fine, is in color and is bigger. :)

So, that’s what I’ve found out if it helps. Thanks again.

Rain

This is an old thread and it says on Electric Rain's profile he hasn't been here since 5th March 2004 so I can assume he's no longer with us :(

But he's a site admin, wtf?

He's listed as a site admin in his public profile... I would guess that it is out of date information?

What I did , and I can only assume Hero999 did also, is click on Electric Rains' name as a link, and you get a pull down list offering to see their public profile amongst other things. When you click to view their profile, in his case it says "site admin" instead of something like "electronics god", etc.

I'm sure it is either a left-over from the old board, maybe the databases' did not transfer all fields correctly, and only active members were "cleaned-up"

the profile shows as site admin

Attachments

• site.GIF
    site.GIF
    43.5 KB · Views: 107
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back