Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Two VSS & Two VDD in PIC 16F877A.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suraj143

There are two VSS & two VDD in PIC16F877A.

I’m making a PCB for 877A project. What I want to know is they internally connected or not? :confused:

Otherwise I have to draw another two PCB tracks from PORTB side VSS & VDD to PORTA side VSS to VDD.

They are connected internally, but still, hook up BOTH sets of pins. Absolutely.

It keeps old man Murphy from knocking on your door while you're working on your project.

Nothing stops Murphy from knocking. What matters is to keep his old but from entering. Taking care of the low hanging fruits first puts up a get front.

P.S. Many other chips have multiple Vdd and Vss, I using only one of each because I stopped Murphy from even getting out the bed baby.

donniedj said:
P.S. Many other chips have multiple Vdd and Vss, I using only one of each because I stopped Murphy from even getting out the bed baby.

Thats what I need you have already tried with one VSS & one VDD.

Thanks for that then I can reduce my PCB space too.

Don't do it, bad plan. The internal interconnects are very tiny wires, to be reliable you need to hook up both VSS & VDD pins. Of course you didn't skimp on the decoupling caps...

The common culprit is the saying "I have tried that and it works".

Some people jumped from a height of 30 ft and end up unhurt. It works too.

You could have soldered jumpers to bypass your PCB routing problem ten times over in the time it took to post this question.

Hi Guys finally I thought why I standing from one leg :D Better stand from both.
I coupled PCB tracks from both sides VDD & VSS.

Thanks for your ideas.

Papabravo said:
Penny wise and pound foolish.

Has not going to post this but this is for you

Anybody want to pic a multiple Vdd/Vss PIC and run a reliability test based on using only 1 Vdd and Vss? Draw a matrix of usages and results, then return with hard statistics that can be varified by third party using said matrix. if not, anything else is vapor.

Back to actually doing something I return.

Last edited:
I would have expected the designers at microchip to have taken advantage of using the 'extra power' pins for some other other PIC function,
if they had considered a dual set of power pins wasnt required.

The PIC designers allocated them as power lines for a reason, so I would recommend you use them.

Many ic's work outside their design parameters, for MOST of the time, if the reliability of the project is important,
stay within the devices design criteria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back