Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Two transistor 5V switching regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found this article, looks great if it works. I'll have to prototype it in the next day or two, it's cheaper than the LM2575.

Anyone used such a circuit before? Comments?

**broken link removed**

Attachments

• smps_cir.gif
    smps_cir.gif
    7.1 KB · Views: 842
I've seen it though I've never needed to use it, the three transistor version with current limiting looks like it could be modified into a nice little constant current PSU for powering high current LEDs.

well it may create stability problem.
bcz it uses inductor,means circuit is osilating giving less efficient output.
i still vote for LM317 or 7805

Are you saying or implying that all switching regulators are unstable? Switching regulators are inherently non-linear systems and our notions of what constitutes stability are different from linear systems. In a linear system the root locus technique showing that the roots of the characteristic equation are confined to the left half plane is sufficient to demonstrate stability. In a non-linear system there is no useable transfer function nor characteristic equation.

Our notion of stability, for a non-linear system, centers around the outputs being bounded for any initial condition and forcing function. This notion is easy to articulate and somewhat more difficult to apply.

https://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/BC/BC328.pdf has the collecter current at a max of 800ma, also I find the lm2575 has a very neat support circuit making for a very compact power supply. Of course the circuit oscillates, wouldn't work if it didn't

Last edited by a moderator:
steev said:
well it may create stability problem.
bcz it uses inductor,means circuit is osilating giving less efficient output.
i still vote for LM317 or 7805
Google about switching regulators, you'll find they're more efficient than linear regulators like the LM317 or 7805.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back