Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Two Stupid Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I need answers to these two stupid questions:

#1-How can I use a CMOS-level output (logic HI) to trigger a 555 timer for 1 hour (delay), which in turn triggers another 555 timer for 1 minute (alarm)?

#2-Does anyone have a battery-backup circuit for 12-volts? Back-up MUST occur within 40 nS of AC Mains failure. Injection time is based on 74AHCT00 series CMOS requirements.

Thanks.

Q2:#2-Does anyone have a battery-backup circuit for 12-volts? Back-up MUST occur within 40 nS of AC Mains failure. Injection time is based on 74AHCT00 series CMOS requirements.

Is the 12V critical? If you can run your circuit on sligthly less voltage you could use a 12V battery (one which can handle constant charging) and regulate its voltage for your circuit requirement, say 10V or so to allow for regulator drop.
The battery is constantly charged from the mains to maintain its capacity. For a wet cell set the constant voltage charger to 13.8 - 13.9V to avoid over charging.
At any dropout of mains, the battery still supplies the power - no interruption at all.
Klaus

Yes, the 12-volts supplied by the battery is critical. Also, I won't be able to use a rechargeable battery due to potential explosion hazard. I might be able to use a gel-cell, but I don't know much about them. Any other thoughts?

Well, 40 nano seconds is pretty fast switching for back up power, you *really* do not want any interruptions at all :)
You do not state what currents are involved, if they are small you might use a large capacitor to bridge the dropout gap until your standby power supply comes on line. Not much chance of a detailed answer from sparse information given, is there?
Good luck,
Klaus

Klaus said:
Well, 40 nano seconds is pretty fast switching for back up power, you *really* do not want any interruptions at all :)
You do not state what currents are involved, if they are small you might use a large capacitor to bridge the dropout gap until your standby power supply comes on line. Not much chance of a detailed answer from sparse information given, is there?
Good luck,
Klaus

Hi Klaus,
I did say they were stupid questions! Actually, if I follow the data sheet correctly for a 74AHCT139 decoder, I should have divided by 2 to get a power-interrupt time. It has a rise/fall time of 20nS. I should be trying for a 10nS injection time. However...by redesigning my power supply per your advice, I think I may not need such a fast backup. Max current will be around 300mA, so... would a 4700uF @35V in parallel with a 0.1uF @50V tantalum be a good choice?
Keep trying...I'm kinda hardheaded! Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back