Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Two Stupid Questions....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy All,
Stupid Question #1: Does anybody remember the old Radio Shack "Time Cube"? (And more importantly, does anyone have a schematic of it?!?!)

Stupid Question #2: My mother is gaining in years and is starting to forget things like leaving a curling iron turned on. Anyone got a schematic for an AC mains timer that can be set for 15, 30, 45, or 60 minutes? I would prefer a triac variety over relay, but right now I'll take whatever you can give me.

These are stupid questions because I didn't learn how to design electronic circuits on my own. Thanks though to all who will overlook that and lend a hand.

MPJA.COM has really cheap solid state relays. I bought 10 a couple weeks ago.
I want to say they were 12 AMPs 110/220 (3-6VDC in). And somewhere I have an ATMEL AT90S1200 schematic, code, etc. I put in a switch to do 30 minute incerments and turn off a solid state relay.

I bought some cheap drills and chargers, and the chargers do not shutoff themselves, so I made the timer to I did so I would not fry the NiCads.

It is in eagle cad, and the software is RVKBASIC, both free.

Let me know.

How are you at assembeling mains powered circuits?

Have you considered an off the shelf solution, you can buy some pretty cheep timers from a hardware store.

Hero999 said:
How are you at assembeling mains powered circuits?

Have you considered an off the shelf solution, you can buy some pretty cheep timers from a hardware store.

Yup totally agree, much quicker and safer to buy an off the shelf timer.

Andy

Its OK to make gadgets for yourself that switch or control AC mains, but if its for someone else, especially elderly, then please please, anyone who admits to "I didn't learn how to design electronic circuits on my own" should buy something off the shelf or engage a competent engineer to do this instead. Don't take risks like this.

If just using AC mains to power a low voltage circuit, use a wall wart (AC adapter) to avoid having to deal with the dangerous higher voltages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back