Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Two questions from a Beginner

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiechle

Hi,
I am a beginner in Electronics. About 12 years back(I am 32 now), i used to do small electronic projects like LED Clock, Audio amplifiers, etc. I am thinking of learning the basics of Microcontrollers now.

Question1.
Do you guys have any suggestion on a Book i could buy to learn the basics of Microcontrollers. I am looking for something which covers the very basics of Microcontrollers for a beginner like me?

Question2.
You can't do anything in Microcontrollers without knowing C language. Right? Do you guys have any suggestion on a good book which covers the fundamentals of C language for Microcontrollers?

Question2.
You can't do anything in Microcontrollers without knowing C language. Right?

No, most microcontroller programming is done in assembly. There are C compilers available, but I would strongly suggest you learn assembler first - it's important to know the device you're using, and assembler forces you to do that.

Thank you Nigel.

I have no idea what an assembly is. If possible, could you post any URLs on learning what an assembly is.

Last edited:
Hi,
I am a beginner in Electronics. About 12 years back(I am 32 now), i used to do small electronic projects like LED Clock, Audio amplifiers, etc. I am thinking of learning the basics of Microcontrollers now.

Question1.
Do you guys have any suggestion on a Book i could buy to learn the basics of Microcontrollers. I am looking for something which covers the very basics of Microcontrollers for a beginner like me?

Question2.
You can't do anything in Microcontrollers without knowing C language. Right? Do you guys have any suggestion on a good book which covers the fundamentals of C language for Microcontrollers?

i use FUNDAMENTALS & APP. WITH PIC....
i think it best for u

Last edited:
Look at Nigel's sig... he has EXCELLENT tutorials for learning assembler and microcontrollers. I've checked out a few books from the local library but Nigel's stuff has been more practical and alot more detailed, plus you have access to the author himself.

Also this video is good: EEVblog #45 – Arduino, PICAXE, and idiot assembler programmers @ Electronics Engineering Video Blog Podcast
the part on assembler is in at about: 12:15 , the whole thing is good.

It's important to note that Dave in that video is not saying that Assembly is not useful. Or a useful tool to learn microcontroller hardware.

I would also disagree that most microcontroller programming is done in Assembly. A few years ago that was true, but definitely not now.

remember, Nigel is 137 years old. :)

unless you need the speed/RAM usage to be extremely efficient just use C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back