Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

two lines are perpendicular only when...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG1995

Hi

Please have a look on the attachment. You can find me query there. Please help me with it. Thank you.

Regards
PG

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 250
In your particular case (the slope is 45 degrees) -y/x is same as -x/y. In another words: x=y.

When you have a line 'a' with a slope y/x, line 'b' is perpendicular to it if its slope is -x/y.

Last edited:
PG1995,

Line l2 is 135°, not 90° as shown in your diagram. Why do you use a symmetrical diagram when an unsymmetrical diagram would immediately remove your confusion? Take 30° and 120°. tan 30° is y/x = 0.58.
tan 120° is x/-y = -1.73 . So, (y/x)*(x/-y)=-1 = 0.58*(-1.73) = -1 .

Ratch

From [LATEX]Tan 45=\frac{y}{x}[/LATEX] we get [LATEX]y_1=xtan45=x \therefore \frac{dy_1}{dx}=1[/LATEX]

And similarly [LATEX]y_2=-xtan45=-x \therefore \frac{dy_2}{dx}=-1[/LATEX]

[LATEX]\frac{dy_1}{dx}\cdot \frac{dy_2}{dx}=-1[/LATEX]

I can't quite figure which step is incorrect in your working.

I think Ratchit explained it better.

Last edited:
I can't quite figure which step is incorrect in your working.

There is no error, just a confusing example (as Ratch already pointed out). In the example case -y²/x² = -1

Last edited:
Thank you, everyone.

Yes, The example I posted wasn't a good one. It didn't remove any confusion.

tan(33)*tan(57) = 1 = tan(33)*{1/tan(33)}

tan(57) = 1/tan(33)

You can use any other angles in place of 57 and 33 (they should sum up to 90).

tan(x) = 1/tan(y) [y+x = 90]

How do I reach this result? Please help me with it. Thanks.

Regards
PG

tan(x) = 1/tan(y) [y+x = 90]

How do I reach this result? Please help me with it. Thanks.

What result? do you mean: tan(x) = 1/tan(90-x)

Sorry for the confusion.

I'm saying that how do I prove that RHS equals LHS in: tan(x) = 1/tan(90-x)? Please let me know if you need further clarification. Thank you.

Regards
PG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back