Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

two hardware usarts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricardoco

Hi there, Does anyone know what is the smallest pic with two hardware usarts if there is such a thing please.

Ricardoco said:
Hi there, Does anyone know what is the smallest pic with two hardware usarts if there is such a thing please.

I don't recall ever seeing one?, but MicroChip have a nice list that gives the specs on their devices - look down the UART column for '2' 8)

Hi nigel i did look at the microchip site and the comparison charts but i couldnt find a column with usarts as the hader that is why i posted here, i cant be looking in the correct place, i will have another look now.

C'mon man, use your brain. Does it really have to have a column labelled USART? Try it again and scroll to the bottom of the page. Or search the page for "USART". Or use the parametric search screen and select "2 AUSART" or "2 EUSART".

Mike

Hi

C'mon man, use your brain.

Well despite what your comment would suggest i am trying OK...

that is why it says this on the end of the post

I cant be looking in the correct place, i will have another look now.

And that is said in the nicest way I can, I have found the chips that have two usarts by the way but i just got so into reading about them that i forgot to come back and let you know

Sorry about that. I could have been more eloquent. I just see too many posts by students who want all the work done for them.

Mike

Hey, upand_at_them no problems. I passed the student thing many moons ago, well at 40 im more into my second childhood. Or so my wife rekons 8)

I also thought there was a UART column, i'm sure i've seen one before. Anyway now they seem to be listed in the 'Interface' column, so just do CTRL-F and search the page for '2 EUSART' or '2 AUSART' - seems to be all 18 series from what I can see.

The dsPIC30F3013 has 2 UARTs and comes in a 28 pin PDIP package. There are also 4 dsPICs in a 40 pin PDIP that have dual UARTs.

If you don't want to use the dsPIC, you will be stuck using an 18F device in a TQFP package.

Last edited:
Ricardoco said:

I wanted two USARTs too in a DIP package. I settled for MAX3110e (SPI UART with RS232 level drivers in a DIP package, see Ladybug on my site for schematic) You could combine it with a 16F88 and get your two UARTs.

I still say to look at the dsPICs in 28 DIP and 40 DIP packages. They are no more difficult to code for then regular 8-bit PICs and can really open up a number of project possibilities due to their superior processing power and integrated peripherals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back