Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

tweak ac-dc adapter from 1A to 2A, possible???

Status
Not open for further replies.

elektroMan

hello

i've got a bunch of ac-dc adapters, the majority supply some ~1A and 5 volts, i want to know if it is possible to tweak one of them to supply 2A, because i have a piece of hardware that needs 2A but a new adapter like that is rather expensive and rare,

i think it may be possible to buy a new resistor or something :confused: which would be far cheaper, and then get 2A out, many of my adapters came with a cellphone, and two of them have voltage regulators and are big in size

thanks for your help, i really need to save some money here ;) i have some experience building simple circuits but not so deep knowledge,

i will appreciate your advise =D, thanks

Last edited:
Simply put.

No.

You can put two 1amp 5v supplies in series in parallel, but you can't modify out the basic transformer in use so you can't just wink your eye and create a more powerful transformer, or one that won't melt or smoke out when you try it.

w0rd.
To double the output of a PSU everything has to change.
If a simple 60hz transformer unit then the transformer, rectifier/s and caps change.
If a switch mode supply then even more gets done.. Or done from scratch.
Just get the correct supply for the job :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back